Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Question 1995 Silverado

Merlin582
03-02-2008, 01:34 AM
My transmission went out and I found a few used ones, but nobody seems to know if they will fit. (including me) My truck has a 4.3L V-6 engine and what I "think" is a
4L60E transmission. Will a 1988 GMC 700R4 take it's place? If not, could someone give me some numbers to look for and maybe what years will fit. I have heard 95-96-97 only, but it could have come from a V-6 or V-8. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Merlin582.

Blue Bowtie
03-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Your '95 has an electrically shifted transmission. The '88 TH700-R4 is not electrically shifted, and used a TV cable to help govern line pressure. There is no provision on your truck for this cable. You will need a '94-95 4L60-E transmission, or will need to rebuild the existing transmission. Since your truck has the 262 V-6, the replacement transmission can be from either a V-6 or V-8. A rebuild kit for your transmission is about $200.

Exactly what symptoms are you experiencing?

j cAT
03-02-2008, 10:41 AM
My transmission went out and I found a few used ones, but nobody seems to know if they will fit. (including me) My truck has a 4.3L V-6 engine and what I "think" is a
4L60E transmission. Will a 1988 GMC 700R4 take it's place? If not, could someone give me some numbers to look for and maybe what years will fit. I have heard 95-96-97 only, but it could have come from a V-6 or V-8. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Merlin582.

I agree rebuild old tranny or rebuild scrap yard tranny... make sure all coolant tranny lines /radiator are cleaned and flushed ......

Merlin582
03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Exactly what symptoms are you experiencing?[/QUOTE]

For the past couple of months after it got up to approximately 40 mph and above, it would start hesitating, but the hesitation would be very fast, like a miss, or maybe a lope. It was a continuous lope until I stopped and it would smooth out. A mechanic told me it "sounded" like the torque converter to him. Well, I got in it a few days ago to go to town and it went just fine but still had the lope. After about two miles I noticed a definite slip of the transmission. Three more miles to a stop sign and that was as far as it would go. Just race up and stay there. When I left home it was right on the full mark. Five miles later it didn't show one drop on the stick. It may be just a small problem, but I am going to rebuild it or get another one with a new torque converter. I have located a couple of good (guaranteed) transmissions but they are 700R. One of them is a 700R with a 305 V-8 in front of it still in the wrecked truck for $700.00. I appreciate your answers. As I am not able to do so, a man is pulling it out for me tomorrow and look at it. I will have to make a decision then. Merlin582.

wafrederick
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
1995 is by itself and this is what the Hollander,an interchange book says.

Merlin582
03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
1995 is by itself and this is what the Hollander,an interchange book says.

Thanks wafrederick, I appreciate the information. I went to a transmission shop yesterday and talked to the counter man. He said that 95-96-97 Chevys and 95-96-97 GMCs were the same and there were some Chevy Caprices, Monte Carlo, and a couple years Cadillac that were the same and would bolt right up. I bought one out of a 97 Chevy Silverado today, so by tomorrow afternoon I will know for sure about the Chevy years. Thanks again.

Merlin582

Add your comment to this topic!