Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re-doing headliner?

kezia
02-29-2008, 10:47 PM
What's the best way? I know how to remove it and everything. I've heard of people using spray adhesive. The headliner is this crappy beige color and the rest of the interior is grey/black so it doesn't match too well, so i'm sure you understand why it's bugging the hell out of me :)

ZenithZ24
02-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, Same with my new Cavalier, I looked up and was like Wahh :runaround: . That matches... -.- Somehow there's a dead bee in my headliner light too? Wow.

Blue Bowtie
03-01-2008, 08:34 AM
The headliner material is available at almost any fabric store. The stock gray, blue, black, red, tan (saddle), and green are usually available without special order. It's 60" wide and on rolls, so you can do any vehicle with it. If the compressed fiberglass core is intact, it can be reused and you won't need a new fiberglass or ABS core.

Remove the pillar trims, dome lights, visors, and coat hooks. Remove the headliner as a complete piece without folding or bending it. Place the headliner on a flat working surface.

Peel the old material off the core. Use a stiff wire brush to remove as much of the old foam as possible without damaging the core.

http://mysite.verizon.net/strey/files/HeadlinerMaterial.jpg

Place the new material over the core. Allow extra material at the ends and edges so it can be folded over the edges to make a clean, finished edge.

http://mysite.verizon.net/strey/files/SprayAdhesive.jpg

Spray a lattice-spray adhesive (like Camie 363) on the core only. Follow instructions to allow the correct open time of the adhesive, then apply the new headliner material without stretching it. Use a roller to gently roll the foam backing of the material into the adhesive. You want to avoid rolling so hard that the adhesive gets squeezed through the foam and onto the finished side of the headliner material. Allow the adhesive to cure completely, then trim the material to fit. Allow a little extra at and openings (only cut what is necessary to pull through wires, etc.) to allow for alignment. If the finished edges of the headliner are exposed, you may need to glue the material to the back side of the core where it folds over the edges.

Reinstall the headliner and trims.

kezia
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
yay thank you so much! i'm stoked. i think i'll start next weekend. it shouldn't take long right?

kezia
03-01-2008, 12:57 PM
also, i'm trying to find black visors because when i redo the headliner, the visors are the fugly grey color so they're not going to match. i've tried ebay and a couple other places and i didn't really have any luck. any other suggestions for other places to look?

Add your comment to this topic!