Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SeaFoam

frisnosity
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Is seafoam worth doing? My buddy put some in his older audi and said it made a difference. He said a bunch of "Stuff" came out of the tailpipe. Could something like that hurt my car?

deerefeed
03-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Sea-Foam is used by many boaters to clean out the carbon build-up that often develops in 2-stroke outboard engines. It will soak into the gaps between piston rings and clean out carbon resulting in better compression and performance. Some even mix it with their outboard fuel since it acts and a gas stabilizer too. I doubt it will hurt your engine. You might not experience any change whatsoever. I'm sold on the product and I've put it in my lawn tractors and boat motors. What have got to lose? There are some videos on YouTube of people running their cars after putting it in their engines. The black gunk coming out the tail pipe is carbon.

G.A.S.
03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
exalant stuff. I use it in a fleet of equipment. When I had started using it the engines had few oil changes done and I started a PM program and added that to the arsenal.
Took a year of use and oil changes are like gold now. This also repowered three engines that were on there last leg. I feel it is well worth the use.
check out there sight at www.seafoamsales.com (http://www.seafoamsales.com) .
I only use this in fuel and at oil changes. I add 2oz's to the oil let the engine run for 20 min., drain oil and change filter.
Fuel is one pint to a tank of gas or diesel once a month. (my personal vehicals too).
Through out the summer I add it to our 250gal. bulk tanks so all the equipment gets it run through the fuel system.
I wouldnt use it through the vacume ports unless you feel carbon is a big problem. running it through the fuel will do the same thing.

frisnosity
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
thanks for the insight guys. What my friend did was take out a vaccum line from the motor, i guess the one going to the break booster, and poured a little in the motor. He didn't add any to the fuel. I'm planning on putting it into an electra. Hey would this stuff help a dirt bike? Its 2-stroke!.

G.A.S.
03-03-2008, 12:53 AM
sure will. did you go to the web sight?

TheFly2
03-03-2008, 05:30 AM
Seafoam works great, in my Yamaha Virago forum its the first thing folks use to cure funky running problems. I dunno what is so special about it over other snake oils but it really works. Many many many funky running bikes fixed by adding half a can to a tank of gas.

In the Subaru world they use it to fix the tick of death by running it in the oil.
The lifter can get sticky, if not fixed quick, its tear down time.

frisnosity
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Really! Thanks

frisnosity
03-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Wonder what it could do for my quad, Just bought a beat up predator.

frisnosity
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
yeah saw the site, wondering about their tranny stuff,

wrightz28
03-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm partial to GM top end cleaner, although hard to come by, and shouldn't be used on newer EFI motors.

Haven't tried SeaFoam yet, but havent heard anything negative either. I will say, do not use oil additiives that claim to clean while they lube like CD-2, bad experience there.

frisnosity
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Does restore work?

wrightz28
03-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Restore is CD-2. I used it on my first Camaro and a week later I hucked a piston out the side of the block, too much of a coincidence to me. :(

Headnsouth
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I've used Seafoam for cleaning up injectors and the top end. It makes ALOT of smoke. I wouldn't use it in the crankcase as it'll thin the oil and is tough on seals. I've tried it to clean up ring paks in my 97 Saturn along with MMO and neither did anything to improve my compression or valve hang up and brought my MPG back to original levels.
Auto-rx increased my compression and eliminated the lifter hang up. :)

frisnosity
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Whats MMO? Im not going to try retore! the motor runs a little rough at idle. I was wondering how to smooth it out. GM top end cleaner? how is that added and where can i get it?

Headnsouth
03-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Whats MMO? Im not going to try retore! the motor runs a little rough at idle. I was wondering how to smooth it out. GM top end cleaner? how is that added and where can i get it?
Marvel mystery oil
I've used SF many times pouring it into the brake vacuum line. It'll clean up carbon in the intake and cylinders.
You may see a O2 sensor fault after using SF but it should clear. Just a warning if you use SF don't be shocked when you lay down a smoke screen a 1/4 mile long. :D

Your vehicle is running a bit rough? What year? mileage? Any DTC codes? Last tune up?

wrightz28
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
I've found using any type of engine cleaner or injection cleaner that hooks direclty to the rail, either A, ahve a new O2 ready afterward, or B, remove the O2 (s) and thread a bolt in of the same thread. :2cents:

As said before, newer systems, especially with heated O2 sensors do not take too kndly to exposure to all the carbon being blown out of the system and into the exhaust.

frisnosity
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
87 electra 3.8 167000, I just did spark plugs, i have wires but i didnt put them on yet. It was a $400 beater i bought. What kinda tranny or motor mounts does this car have that can go bad. It feels like a tranny mount might be going bad (Dog bone maybe). No codes the car runs very strong. I need to rebuild the front end. What else should i try to "tune up" the car?

wrightz28
03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
87's don't have 'dogbones'. The transaxle and motor mounts had a short life span on my 87 due to the fact nothing was on the top end to reduce 'torque tipping'. After a while if severe enough the motor tips far enough over and can knock the plug wire off the coil pack (drove me nuts the first time it did it trying figure out what the hell was going on with it.)

frisnosity
03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Are those hard to change? I def think that a mount is shot. I got a whole list going. Im layed off for only a couple more weeks then i can get money for parts. They let u use a computer in rehab? Ive been dry for a couple months. My poison is the duo of beam and walker!!!! I could sure use a beer too!!!!!

frisnosity
03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
you guys know anything about preludes?

wrightz28
03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
The "front" are relatively easy to do (soak 'em in prenatrating oil over night and be very careful of the wiring harness running on top of the cross member, I kinda crushed the ign. wire not knowing it was there, left me scratching my head for a few minutes when all I did was change mounts and then the car wouldn't start :rolleyes: ).

The "back" ones are a PITA and require some lonoooooog extensions. If I remember correctly, the left "rear" was the worst and I used a 36" ext coupled with with 10" and some u-joints. I do remember getting the bolts back in was a huge cuss fest.

All in all, there's really only one engine mount, the rest are transaxle mounts.

frisnosity
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
how many mounts are there in total?

wrightz28
03-13-2008, 01:37 PM
4. :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!