Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radiator with or with out engine oil cooler

nowuwant2nome
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Going to buy a new radiator for my 97' , 135,000 miles. I did a search and found a new one for about $150 but it is without an engine oil cooler.

How do I know if I need one with a cooler or without? I know this is probably a dumb question but it is why I am here because I am that when it comes to cars.

Wanted to say thanks to those who have answered my previous posts. Also this site has helped me find answers to many questions auto shops tend to not want to answer and has helped me ask the appropriate questions.

Thanks again !!

BTW, I LOVE my AURORA !! It is a wonderful car when it is running. I have found repairs to be costly and most mechanics don't want to touch it. When it is operable, the ride is WONDERFUL !!

Hammerhead46
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Well the quick way would to be to look at the radiator you now have.
If you have an automatic transmission you will have a set of Hoses/Pipes going to one side of the Radiator either left or right, if manual you will not.
If you have an oil cooler and automatic transmission you will have a set of Hoses/Pipes going to BOTH sides of the radiator if not you won't.
If you have a manual transmission with an oil cooler you will have Hoses/Pipes going to one side of the Radiator if not, you will have no hoses or pipes to either side.
Now I am NOT talking about COOLENT HOSES I am talking about OIL LINE HOSES/PIPE LINES.
You may have HEATER and or Will have Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses!
That is the quick way to tell.

pizza442
03-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I think 97 was the inbetween year in which the oil cooler was dropped halfway through the year. The oil cooler is in the passenger side tank (which is plastic) of the radiator. This is where the tanks tend to crack, too, around the ports for the oil lines. The cracks in the plastic tanks I think are the #1 reason for the Northstar's overheating and causing headgasket problems so check the radiator tanks closely everyone! Hard to see when they crack and leak; no real drips but you smell coolant while under the hood.
Jay

Add your comment to this topic!