Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel injector issue

16th hippy
02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
98 s-10 ext cab 2.2l manual trans 136K miles. engine started missing, codes are p0200 injector circuit open, and p0302 cyl #2 misfire. question is this: is there a way to get to the injector connectors to test the coils without removing the manifold? guess my hands are too big, but any tips would help loads. thanks.

old_master
02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Disconnect #2 cylinder injector connector and check for pulse while cranking. The gray wire is the power feed for all of the injectors. The green with black stripe wire goes back to the ECM. The ECM supplies ground for the injector. An open circuit or a short circuit to ground will set P0200. That's the wire you'll find a problem with, or an open circuit in the #2 injector.

16th hippy
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
yeah, got the diagram. problem is i think my hands are too big, trying to find a way to get my hands in there to disconnect it. the manifold is the one that curves around from the top and wraps around with the fuel rail in there. thanks for the reply though.

j cAT
02-29-2008, 03:35 PM
yeah, got the diagram. problem is i think my hands are too big, trying to find a way to get my hands in there to disconnect it. the manifold is the one that curves around from the top and wraps around with the fuel rail in there. thanks for the reply though.

how about some long nose pliers

old_master
02-29-2008, 04:35 PM
How about a kid with small hands? Bet him $5 he can't unplug it, and plug it back in when you're done!

16th hippy
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
rofl...good ideas. took the airbox that attaches to the throttle body off and was barely able to get it undone, but got it.

16th hippy
03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
given the fact i ask people to post what fixes the problem, figured i would do same fro mine. as stated, codes p0200(inj, circuit open), and p0302(cyl. 2 misfire). checked for pulse, had a weak one(didn't have any noid lights, but a power probe(not a test light) works pretty good in it's place) on #2. others were ok, so i sighed, unhooked the connector for the injectors to the main harness just by the intake, and same, green w/black stripe permanently grounded. unhooked plugs from ECM, double checked wires, all good. ECM fried #2 injector driver. seen this about 10 times, specifically on #2 driver. replaced ECM.

since i worked so hard to unplug the injector connectors, thought i should double check the injectors for correct resistance on coils. all ok, so put in used ECM(original is off to be refurbed and re-installed), and come to fine out that the #2 injector has stuck itself open from the faulty ECM holding it on so long(personally never seen that before). I could blow through #2 injector after i removed it from manifold and rail. replaced all injectors since i was there, along with valve cover gasket. long story short, 1 ECM, 4 injectors(only 1 bad but such a pain just to do one), and some gaskets and alot of cleaning(valve cover gasket was really bad).

a word of advice to anyone with the 2.2 that has the one peice intake, replace the vlave cover gasket if you ever have intake off already....is so much easier.

Add your comment to this topic!