Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel question

DJPsystems
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I checked the fuel pressure with a 3VZ-FE engine and it was within specs. Once I turned off the engine the pressure went down to zero within a few seconds. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump?

jdmccright
02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
The fuel system should retain the built-up pressure even after the engine is shut off. Finding where the leak is should be your starting point.

Presuming that the fuel pressure gauge is installed on or near the fuel rail...

Find a section of fuel line that is rubber, such as those coming from the fuel tank. You may have to remove the rear seat to access them. Turn the key ON and let the pressure build up. Clamp the hose section with a vise grip or other suitable tool...just tight enough to stop the fuel from flowing. Shut the engine off and see if the pressure still drops. If it does, the leak is forward of the clamp site...if not, it's behind.

Most common leak sites are the fuel pump (a bad or clogged one-way valve) and the injectors (dirty or clogged seats). Good luck.

DJPsystems
02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
I am thinking that it is the fuel pump. I do not see or smell any visible leaks anywhere. Sometimes the car is hard to start, seems like it is not getting enough gas. Also the car does not have as much power as it should.

DJPsystems
03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
The way I found this out was I plugged the return line, then I turned the key to on and I "bumped" the fuel pump by pushing on the flap on the air flow meter for 2 seconds and the pressure shot up and stayed there. Then I went to Napa and got a pressure regulator, put it on and it was bad!(did not hold the pressure) So I took it back and I decided to get one at the dealer and it is fixed the problem! It starts right up and the car runs better now. :D

Add your comment to this topic!