Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cant get lower control arm out

JJohnson1388
02-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I posted in cavalier forum but aint gettin much help. Im reaplacing my lower control arm in the front (i hit a burb, bent it). I got the ballstud joint out of the knuckle. I got all the bolts out on the frame. I raised up the big rotor thing up with a jack. My control arm is wiggling and jerking left and right and up and down easily. We just cant get it to come out, were prying and prying and it wont come out. we dont understand b/c it wiggling so bad and shifting alot back and forths. Help please guys.

JJohnson1388
02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh ya, weve pried on it, pulled on it, put a chain on it, put a come along on it. and sprayed both joints or areas with pb blaster.

UncleBob
02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
the slot it fits in (I'm assuming its that style) might be callapsed partially. If thats the case, spread open the tabs.

otherwise, you'll need to describe whats actually holding it. Although I've done lots of lower control arms, and very well might have done an 'arm on the particular car model you're dealing with, my memory isn't good enough to recall it, so I/we need more detailed descriptions to offer much help.

JJohnson1388
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Well itws shaped sort of like this \l

- the left arm is wigglging left and right freely in the little sections its going into.

-the right arm is wanting to come out on the right side but but wanting to give on the left side, almost like that side is stuck.

-the left arm is a a bolt going perpendicular with the ground and the right side had a bolt going parrallel with the ground.

JJohnson1388
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Well itws shaped sort of like this \l

- the left arm is wigglging left and right freely in the little sections its going into.

-the right arm is wanting to come out on the right side but but wanting to give on the left side, almost like that side is stuck.

-the left arm is a a bolt going perpendicular with the ground and the right side had a bolt going parrallel with the ground.

2.2 Straight six
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
i've done a lot of wishbones, but without seeing it, it's really hard to help.

where the vertical bolt goes, often the steel hollow pin in the rubber bush is a tight fit to the unibody or subframe. if the unibody where this goes in is tow pressed parts, you may need to pry them apart slightly.

other than that, can't help without seeing it.

j cAT
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
I posted in cavalier forum but aint gettin much help. Im reaplacing my lower control arm in the front (i hit a burb, bent it). I got the ballstud joint out of the knuckle. I got all the bolts out on the frame. I raised up the big rotor thing up with a jack. My control arm is wiggling and jerking left and right and up and down easily. We just cant get it to come out, were prying and prying and it wont come out. we dont understand b/c it wiggling so bad and shifting alot back and forths. Help please guys.

use torch and a 5lbs hammer this should get it out

dave92cherokee
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/19/28/2b/0900823d8019282b/repairInfoPages.htm

That should help you if it's really stuck try getting an 8 pound dead blow hammer to help knock it out of the mounts.

JJohnson1388
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
we got it! we saw zaw an arm and it pulled each one indiviually and they slid out. Gettin the new one back in was a pain but it eventually gave in and we got it in there.

but...we have another problem. The axle (i think) Disconnected at some rubber thing and is now hanging in half. So tomorrow i have to get tire back on there and then jack car up and see if it goes back together. Im praying that those joints and connectors ornt broken...Any tips guys?

Add your comment to this topic!