Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel injectors... can I do them???

chasecrusher
02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I have swung a wrench here and there, but very much a beginner.

My engine started shaking really bad, I took it to pep boys because just 3 months ago they replaced the valve gaskets and head gaskets ($3000) so I thought maybe it was something they did...they tell me its one of my injectors is out, Pep boys tried new wires and a coil to no avail. So the guy said he was pretty sure it was the injector.. He thought it might be the rocker, but if the rocker was bad the compression would be bad, and they tested the compression and it was ok.

So, I looked at the gasket tutorial pinned to the top, and getting to the injectors didnt seem that bad, I don’t have a torch wrench, but I'm sure its less the $500 pep boys is going to charge me.

So has anyone done there injectors??? Is it really difficult?

Thanks for your help guys, this car has 127k miles and Im sure it would love to die, but I can't afford a new one, so I have to make it work...

maxwedge
02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome to AF, a broken or pulled rocker stud does not show up as bad compression, check that first.

j cAT
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I have swung a wrench here and there, but very much a beginner.

My engine started shaking really bad, I took it to pep boys because just 3 months ago they replaced the valve gaskets and head gaskets ($3000) so I thought maybe it was something they did...they tell me its one of my injectors is out, Pep boys tried new wires and a coil to no avail. So the guy said he was pretty sure it was the injector.. He thought it might be the rocker, but if the rocker was bad the compression would be bad, and they tested the compression and it was ok.

So, I looked at the gasket tutorial pinned to the top, and getting to the injectors didnt seem that bad, I don’t have a torch wrench, but I'm sure its less the $500 pep boys is going to charge me.

So has anyone done there injectors??? Is it really difficult?

Thanks for your help guys, this car has 127k miles and Im sure it would love to die, but I can't afford a new one, so I have to make it work...

if you disable 1 injector at a time and you notice no change on one that was disconnected that would be the bad injector.....you should not have to replace all.... also check connections grounds to injectors....

chasecrusher
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
if you disable 1 injector at a time and you notice no change on one that was disconnected that would be the bad injector......

how can I disable them?

chasecrusher
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Welcome to AF, a broken or pulled rocker stud does not show up as bad compression, check that first.

well thats what the pepboys guy told me (about the compression), but how would I check the rocker stud?

maxwedge
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Remove the valve cover on the suspect cylinder side and look at the valve train.

j cAT
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
[quote=chasecrusher]I have swung a wrench here and there, but very much a beginner.

quote]

Me thinks you better find a repair shop to repair or at least diagnose this problem as you do not have a good understanding of this type of work...most likely the head gasket repair has something to do with your problem and for 3000.oo i would get another shop to diagnose then ask if the work pep boys did had anything to do with it and if so get the statement in writing then get pepboys to correct it.....

chasecrusher
02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
[quote=chasecrusher]I have swung a wrench here and there, but very much a beginner.

quote]

Me thinks you better find a repair shop to repair or at least diagnose this problem as you do not have a good understanding of this type of work...most likely the head gasket repair has something to do with your problem and for 3000.oo i would get another shop to diagnose then ask if the work pep boys did had anything to do with it and if so get the statement in writing then get pepboys to correct it.....

actually the saga continues, took it to tuffy and they say the problem is, it looks like Pepboys messed it up, they say its a problem with the heads, and they will not even touch it. They recommend and engine swap.. I guess that makes some since, but then they say the could do the engine swap for around $1800. and they would replace the intake and head gaskets.. that’s parts and labor. Does that sound right???? Man, I feel like I can’t trust any mechanic... that really sucks. :banghead:

j cAT
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
[quote=j cAT]

actually the saga continues, took it to tuffy and they say the problem is, it looks like Pepboys messed it up, they say its a problem with the heads, and they will not even touch it. They recommend and engine swap.. I guess that makes some since, but then they say the could do the engine swap for around $1800. and they would replace the intake and head gaskets.. that’s parts and labor. Does that sound right???? Man, I feel like I can’t trust any mechanic... that really sucks. :banghead:

pay these people to put in writing why and how pep boys messed up your head no guesses.... just facts then go back to pep boys demanding they fix/repair the damage they did.....If they refuse contact the main office and give names of the people involved and copies of documents supporting your claim.......I thought this was auto forums not law class

chasecrusher
02-28-2008, 08:29 PM
[quote=chasecrusher]

pay these people to put in writing why and how pep boys messed up your head no guesses.... just facts then go back to pep boys demanding they fix/repair the damage they did.....If they refuse contact the main office and give names of the people involved and copies of documents supporting your claim.......I thought this was auto forums not law class

They don't know for sure that pepboys messed it up, the car has 127000 miles, they say it "looks" like pepboys may have messed it up, its a month past and a thousand miles over pepboys warranty, I really have no rights to demand anything. The car ran fine until the other day, so I also can't say pepboys didn’t fix it. Thanks for the "law" lesson, but I don’t think it really fits my particular situation. Also I have contacted the main office, and it really has got me no where...

so what do you all think, can an engine swap be that cheap?

j cAT
02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
[quote=j cAT]

They don't know for sure that pepboys messed it up, the car has 127000 miles, they say it "looks" like pepboys may have messed it up, its a month past and a thousand miles over pepboys warranty, I really have no rights to demand anything. The car ran fine until the other day, so I also can't say pepboys didn’t fix it. Thanks for the "law" lesson, but I don’t think it really fits my particular situation. Also I have contacted the main office, and it really has got me no where...

so what do you all think, can an engine swap be that cheap?

bring to another repair shop to diagnose problem ...DO NOT TELL THEM ABOUT PEP BOYS...... you still don't know what the problem is ....just guesses... pay for this if necessary..... why swap engine if it's just a minor repair......their just jacking up the repair to make more profit...

Add your comment to this topic!