Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hey Guys!

fullmetalpanic
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, im new to the forum. My name is Lindsay and i'm in Texas, near San Antonio. I dont have a 3000GT yet, but i've been shopping for one for a while and i've finally found one that looks good. It's a black '96 base model ATX with 56,000 miles. Here is the autotrader ad. Click me! (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=237701323&dealer_id=61900521&car_year=1996&model=3000GT&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=300&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&make=MIT&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=78130&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=155)

Ive been talking with the guy and he says it has had the 60k service and that it also has a freshly rebuilt transmission (at 54k).

It looks good from the pictures, but i wont see it in person until next weekend. I was wondering if one of you guys here has a carfax account and can check the VIN for me?

The VIN is on the autotrader ad, but it you need it it's JA3AM84J3TY001822

I'll be crossing my fingers. I really need a car by march, when my current lease expires.

I've read over the FAQ section, but i didnt see anything about the auto transmissions too much. What would have caused it to go out with only 54kmi? Are the ATX's prone to failing?

Thanks guys, any other advice you can give is welcome!:)

Morphius289
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
That 3000 looks pretty clean, and not a bad price to boot, especially with only 56,000 miles on the odometer. Welcome to AF.

Twizted_3KGT
02-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forums! Not a bad deal you found there, especially with the 60k done. The automatic transmissions can take some abuse, so if it failed at 54k it was probably abused a bit. I usually see them go out around 100k when not treated nicely. But it sounds like the guy took care of the car if he got it rebuilt and had the 60k done on time.

Girly VR-4
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the forums! Not a bad deal you found there, especially with the 60k done. The automatic transmissions can take some abuse, so if it failed at 54k it was probably abused a bit. I usually see them go out around 100k when not treated nicely. But it sounds like the guy took care of the car if he got it rebuilt and had the 60k done on time.

not necessarily. The ATX transmissions are prone to failure, even at low mileage, with little to no abuse. It just happens. Sometimes they last forever, sometimes they last a very short time. I'd make sure he has documentation of the rebuild, and ask if the place that rebuilt it offerend some sort of warranty, and if it's transferrable to the next owner.

hawk362
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Pretty much this is why atx transmission are horrible in our platform, our tranny coolers are terrible, they don't flow well and do a very poor job cooling the transmissions. This is the biggest reason transmissions seem to fail rather quickly in our cars, and theres a simple fix which is a $80 upgraded larger better flowing tranny cooler. You can order one online at IPT, and installation is fairly simple just exact replacment of the old cooler.

Everyone I've ever heard of upgrading their tranny coolers seem to have very good luck with their transmissions including myself, and I can def. admit I give the tranny a little abuse from time to time, but nothing they can't handle of course....!!!

fullmetalpanic
02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks a lot.... that one turned out to be not so good. It has some minor rust, and the body wasn't in too good of shape. Also the exhaust was smelling like a candy shop, and pulling to the right majorly. So I think I'm skipping that one! Gonna see what else I can find around here.

hawk362
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks a lot.... that one turned out to be not so good. It has some minor rust, and the body wasn't in too good of shape. Also the exhaust was smelling like a candy shop, and pulling to the right majorly. So I think I'm skipping that one! Gonna see what else I can find around here.

Let me give you a little advice on this platform you wish to inherit, don't buy whatever you do an automatic. The reason for this is because they are literally a entire second slower quarter mile. Automatics usually run 16.5 and on up, thats the DOHC, the SOHC, your looking at close to 17
s.

The only way you should buy an automatic is if you don't give two hoots at all about performance, then go for it, or else you will waste a lot of money, and regret your purchase. Buy a twin turbo now if you have the funds or just get a mtx fwd. But again if your just going for looks and have a nice slow cruiser than yes by the atx.

AutostradaVR4
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
i have been teaching her to drive 5-speed on my vr4, but she still doesnt feel comfortable enough to have a manual for a daily driver.

We're going to look at a white '96 base with 13x,xxx miles today. I think the dealer is asking 6k or so. She's already looked at and drove it once, but she wants me to give it a once over as well.

hawk362
02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Like I said if performance is not a priority, then by all means get the automatic, but if she has a craving for speed let her know now an atx 3kgt wont satisfy her.

hawk362
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Also I wanted to note that I paid $6200 for my 1995 base atx with 80,000 miles.

I think your overpaying for that dealer 3KGT, keep looking, you can find plenty of bases for that year for way less miles than 13XX,XXX.

hot3000
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I got my fixer upper too for sale :D Someone buy it! LOL

fullmetalpanic
02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Well I bought the 96 ATX, and I got it for less that KBB. So I'm happy....:grinyes: . Pearl white is sooo nice.... yeah. Its real clean and runs great. I'll post pictures when I get it!

TorchedStealth
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Congrats on the car! Make sure to post pictures in the pics of your ride thread!

Add your comment to this topic!