Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny Fluid Along Rear Cross Bar

pharm_rodeo
02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I was changing the oil today and noticed a small drip along the rear crossmember. Sure enough it was tranny fluid. I can't see where it's coming from though. I checked everywhere else with a flashlight and nada.

Any suggestions?:runaround:

Ramblin Fever
02-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure if you tried to post a pic or not, but all I'm getting is a red X.

Double check your transmission cooler line hoses, gaskets around the pans, accumilator piston on the passanger side (I believe) of the transmisson itself, and if you can, try to post some pics.

Also, are you sure it's not power steering fluid?

FL 3.2L
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Seal at the gear selector?

pharm_rodeo
02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if you tried to post a pic or not, but all I'm getting is a red X.

Double check your transmission cooler line hoses, gaskets around the pans, accumilator piston on the passanger side (I believe) of the transmisson itself, and if you can, try to post some pics.

Also, are you sure it's not power steering fluid?

I've taken a bath in tranny fluid enough times to know that it is tranny fluid lol. There's really nothing to take picture of. Nothing is above the rear crossmember. There are 2 lines that run on top of there, but I don't think they are tranny related.

However, I did find a leak this morning along the rear of the main pain that faces the crossmember. I THINK the drips may be blowing back so I'm going to change the gasket. I should do it for peace of mind anyways. I got the Pioneer kit at O'Reily for 24.99.

I remember reading about someone having tranny fluid dripping from the crossmember but I can't find it.

FL 3.2L
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Pretty light torque for those bolts...

Ramblin Fever
02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Hmmm, don't know then.

Let us know what you find.

pharm_rodeo
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I changed the gasket and filter yesterday. It seems to have stopped a couple of leaks but I'm not 100% sure it stopped all of them. I'll update once I have EVERYTHING resolved.

BTW, I was reading in the manual that the speed sensor gasket could cause a tranny leak. Interesting.....

pharm_rodeo
02-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I found the leak.......I hope. Let me know what you guys think.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/pharm_rodeo/TrannyPics2-27-08004.jpg

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/pharm_rodeo/?action=view&current=TrannyPics2-27-08004.jpg

Ramblin Fever
02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, Fletch what the heck is that bolt?? Are these tranny's set up a little different on the newer trucks....don't recall my O2 sensor plugging in that far back.

Pharm - double check your fill plug bolt, it's weepin a little too.

FL 3.2L
02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Are you asking about a bolt in the second picture? If so, I only get the dreaded red x for it...

pharm_rodeo
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
It's not an O2 sensor. I've been trying to figure out what that bolt is called. I tried myisuzuparts.com so now I'm checking out the manual. It doesn't look like it has a gasket/washer attached. I think if I figure out what that connector is I should be able to name the bolt.

SF, there is only one pic.

Ramblin Fever
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Duh...sorry, you're right..it's not an O2 sensor....had THIS guy biting on my leg, wanting to play at the time I was reading your post!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Feverramblin/Georgetown-Ashton-various11-2007045.jpg

pharm_rodeo
02-28-2008, 01:23 AM
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (4L30–E)

Speed Sensor (Extension Housing)

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Raise the vehicle and support it on jack stands.
3. Disconnect speed sensor harness connector from
speed sensor.
4. Remove one 10 mm screw and speed sensor with
O-ring.

Installation

1. Inspect the speed sensor O-ring, and replace it if
necessary.
2. Install speed sensor assembly and 10 mm screw.

Torque: 9 N
•m (78 lb in)

3. Connect speed sensor harness connector to speed
sensor.
4. Connect battery ground cable.

That's all I've been able to find. The manual doesn't provide any pics.

2000izusu
02-28-2008, 06:36 AM
isn't your trans still under that 2 year warranty you got when it was rebuilt?
i'd see if the trans rebuilder can fix it under warranty! mike

pharm_rodeo
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
isn't your trans still under that 2 year warranty you got when it was rebuilt?
i'd see if the trans rebuilder can fix it under warranty! mike

I thought about that too, but I doubt the warranty would help with a leak over a year later. Now if that leak affected the way my tranny operates then yes I would have taken it over there. When it comes to tranny leaks I would rather take care of it myself. But I might take it to that shop and see what happens lol.

FL 3.2L
02-28-2008, 05:03 PM
This has to be a super easy repair. I changed my speedo gear in my Jeep when I went to bigger tires. It's a 5 minute job, and that's drinking a beer between removal and installation! Only place to screw up is by confusing in-lbs with ft-lbs, like a guy did on the Jeep forum. That was an entertaining thread!

FL 3.2L
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Bet you can find a replacement for the o-ring at any parts store, too. No need for St. Charles, I would guess.

FL 3.2L
02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Is there supposed to be some sort of bracket there? How is that bolt holding the sensor in place?

FL 3.2L
02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I found it on myisuzuparts.com, and I think you should have a little bracket around the sensor and with a hole for the bolt. It is probably leaking because the bracket is missing. Anyone confirm?

Ramblin Fever
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Ok, found what y'all are talking about, simply because I suddenly developed a leak.....Pharm, quit jinxing my truck!!!! :wink:

Turns out the drain bolt washer decided to creep a leak on me....so, guess what...yep...I've got REALLY clean atf in the tranny now, 3 drain/refills in less then 2 mnths due to failing ATF coolant line hoses a week after performing a drain/refill and now the drain bolt.

pharm_rodeo
02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I found it on myisuzuparts.com, and I think you should have a little bracket around the sensor and with a hole for the bolt. It is probably leaking because the bracket is missing. Anyone confirm?

What part name was it under? The manual calls it the speed sensor but myisuzuparts.com calls it the revolution sensor.

There has to be an o-ring/gasket for that bolt.

BTW, that bolt is hard to get to. I had to be at a certain angle to take the pic. The crossmember will have to come off, but I won't be sure until I get under there again.

pharm_rodeo
02-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Ok, found what y'all are talking about, simply because I suddenly developed a leak.....Pharm, quit jinxing my truck!!!! :wink:

Turns out the drain bolt washer decided to creep a leak on me....so, guess what...yep...I've got REALLY clean atf in the tranny now, 3 drain/refills in less then 2 mnths due to failing ATF coolant line hoses a week after performing a drain/refill and now the drain bolt.

These damn leaks are driving me nuts. :banghead:

FL 3.2L
02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Did you try a keyword search for "driven gear, speedometer?" If you select the automatic transmission it comes up, I think. Is it definitely leaking at the bolt? It shows a locking plate for the sensor. The bolt is called a retaining bolt for the driven gear. I don't see a gasket for the retaining bolt.

pharm_rodeo
03-07-2008, 04:26 AM
I removed the piece yesterday to see if I could place a temporary gasket somewhere. The retaining bolt doesn't have an o-ring, and there is no place it could leak fluid. The main unit with the gear at the end slides into the housing and has a rubber gasket around the shaft to prevent fluid from getting past it. I believe that's where its leaking and then dripping down to the bolt. The bolt doesn't come in contact with fluid at any other point. So now I have to determine if that rubber o-ring can be replaced. I didn't take pics this time, but I will once I can find an o-ring. Also, the bracket and the main unit seem to be once piece. The bolt can be reached with an extension.

pharm_rodeo
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Ordered 3 rubber o-rings for $1.94 a piece, but it won't be in for a week. Special order my a$$! I ordered extra in case someone here might need one someday.

Add your comment to this topic!