'89 Mirage 1.5l hatchback: Fuel Sender/Holster

Colt Hero
02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
'89 Mirage/Colt that I bought new in '89. It's been off the road for 5 years now, but I'd like to get it running again. Needed a new fuel pump, so I pulled the tank and discovered the whole thing was a complete loss (corrosion city). So I bought a new fuel tank ($250) and fuel pump ($50) but I cannot install them until I solve the problem with the Fuel Sender (I call it a "holster" - the thing that holds the fuel pump - NOT the fuel guage thing which is a separate unit). Mine is very corroded and one of the rigid metal tubes coming from the pentagon-shaped head is damaged, so it cannot be reinstalled like this.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement or have mine rebuilt? I've searched the web and connot locate a new one. I DID find a couple of sites that rebuild them, but wonder if they're legit. Also wonder if someone local can rebuilt it. Used ones are out there, but they've all been sitting in rusted out fuel tanks for a long time and are just as corroded as mine. The dealer only sells the Sender with the pump (for $400)!

Any suggestions?

Add your comment to this topic!