Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Bravada front hub bearing question

spddmn1
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Hey everyone i changed the right front hub on my 2001 Bravada & the question i have is: Should there be a rubber O-ring on the back of the hub? I removed the old hub & there was no O-ring on the back. It's not where the bearing is, it's about 11" & it fits in the groove of the bracket the hub bolts to. Didn't know if it depends on the brand of hub. The one i replaced was a aftermarket one. Other then that it's pretty easy to do. Saved myself $600 in parts & labor this time.

Chris Stewart
02-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I believe my '97 had an o-ring but the replacement didn't and it didn't have a groove for one.

97TaurusGuy
02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey everyone i changed the right front hub on my 2001 Bravada & the question i have is: Should there be a rubber O-ring on the back of the hub? I removed the old hub & there was no O-ring on the back. It's not where the bearing is, it's about 11" & it fits in the groove of the bracket the hub bolts to. Didn't know if it depends on the brand of hub. The one i replaced was a aftermarket one. Other then that it's pretty easy to do. Saved myself $600 in parts & labor this time.
Dont quite get how you saved $600 in parts and labor. I just had the front right hub assembly changed at the dealer yesterday and it was only $439 for parts and labor. Luckily it was covered under warranty.

Chris Stewart
02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Different shops charge different rates...mostly whatever the locals will tolerate.

Tigga2k
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I have had my 2000 Bravada since 2005. I'm the second owner. I love this vehicle but I have replaced my right front wheel bearing THREE times now. The first time was shortly after I bought it and cost me $575 at a local garage. The second time was last summer and my neighbor did it at his garage where he works for nothing (thankfully!) and my husband just did it AGAIN a few weeks ago.
I can't for the life of me figure out why the same side bearing keeps having to be replaced... Suspension is fine, alignment is fine, totally lubed after each replacement and I don't drive like an idiot. It's making noise again but I think this might be the other side this time...
Any suggestions?
:banghead:

83cutlass
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
curb shots or cheap bearings are the usually suspects. Sometimes bearings just fail like any other moving part eventually will. But 3 on the same location usually means cheap bearings are being used. If you are buying the $99 hub/bearing then that is reason.

Tigga2k
03-07-2008, 08:07 AM
It's probably the cheap bearings then. I think I paid $115 for them at Advanced. They are still under warranty so I guess I'll see if I can take them back and pay the difference for the better quality ones. SO annoying!
Thank you for your input!
:)

83cutlass
03-08-2008, 08:20 AM
glad to help!

BIGBOZ442
04-01-2010, 10:16 PM
How hard is it to replace a front hub assy on a 2002 bravada?

Chris Stewart
04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the site.
From what I can find, it looks like the '02 front hubs change out like the 95's and newer but I wouldn't attempt it without a service manual like the Haynes manual, available at most chain type auto parts stores to get the procedures and fastener torque values plus it's some very interesting reading for do it yourself types.

Add your comment to this topic!