Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I get new title for junked car in NC?

doug2060
02-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I am buying a car and have found out the title has been turned in to the DMV as being junked. How do I get a new or salvaged title? I live in NC and the car is recorded as being junked in NC if that makes any difference... Any help is much appreciated...:banghead:

'97ventureowner
02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I am buying a car and have found out the title has been turned in to the DMV as being junked. How do I get a new or salvaged title? I live in NC and the car is recorded as being junked in NC if that makes any difference... Any help is much appreciated...:banghead:
I would think the first step would be to contact your state's DMV and explain the situation and what you want to do and see what they recommend . What forms you would need to fill out and any other steps you need to complete in order to get a salvage title. Rules and procedures differ from state to state .

doug2060
02-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, I plan on doing that Monday morning but I'm hoping someone familiar with the process in NC can let me know what to expect.

'97ventureowner
02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't know how much this link can help, but it's worth a shot:http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/salvaged-vehicles.php

doug2060
02-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks, I've been there too... I've googled, msn'ed, and yahoo'ed it and can find little to go on. I got the car from the owners and they even filled out and notorized a lost title form transferring it to me which should have been enough but the dmv wouldn't accept it because they turned the title in. It's a great car and only had a broke timing belt with only 78,000 miles. I'd hate not to be able to put it on the road...

shermancelmare
03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
The DMV wants to see the proof that it was bought and sold, and that it was once junked but now fixed. Pictures, parts receipts, and sales receipt would be helpful.

I would personally find a used car dealer who repairs salvaged cars and ask them the process.

Add your comment to this topic!