Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5 speed Tranny slipping(I think) 90 GMC

jtricer1973
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, I have a 1990 GMC sierra with a V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. I think the transmission is slipping but thought maybe it could be something with the clutch.
When I am driving, say I'm in 5th and I give it some gas to speed up, the motor kind of revs up for a few seconds and then you can finally feel it sort of catch (hope that makes sense). The shift light will even come on (and remember I am in 5th gear)
It seems to do this in all gears. It also seems to do this on its own without getting on the gas if I come to a hill or elevation.
Does this sound like the tranny or could it be a clutch problem? The truck does have 216,000 miles on it by the way.

jtricer1973
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Guys, something else I noticed. After you have driven it there is a burning smell, but if you just go start it and let it idle there is no burning smell.

Also, when you push the clutch all the way to the floor, you can hear something spinning. Not very loud but you can hear it. It does this with the stick shifted into any gear or neutral. I didn't know if this was normal or not. I don't have much experience working clutches.

2000CAYukon
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Guys, something else I noticed. After you have driven it there is a burning smell, but if you just go start it and let it idle there is no burning smell.

Also, when you push the clutch all the way to the floor, you can hear something spinning. Not very loud but you can hear it. It does this with the stick shifted into any gear or neutral. I didn't know if this was normal or not. I don't have much experience working clutches.

Well if the clutch is slipping, you will smell a burning smell.

The noise you hear when the clutch is depressed is probably the throw out bearing.

In your other post, you mention that you have to really push the clutch all the way to the floor. It sounds to me as the clutch may be worn out or miss adjusted.

The throw out bearing would be replaced when the clutch is replaced.

//2000CAYukon

jtricer1973
02-23-2008, 09:41 PM
After some research I have decided that the problem is the clutch.
Thanks for the input guys!

Add your comment to this topic!