Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pleeeeeeze Help 97 blazer

gus36
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
O.k. 97 blazer and I have been through 6 starters in month. Breaking, cracking etc. due to a throw back condition on ring gear. A service bullitin says it's the Cam Position sensor. Changed it and it didnt fix it. Put a new distributor in it and it is timed perfect according to shop manual. I can somtimes get it started and when I do it sounds like there are some large marbles in the engine at idle. It goes away at acceleration but if I shut it off and try to start it again it sounds like it wants to break off another starter. Flywheel/ring gear is good. I'm at my wits end, Can someone please give any suggestions.

MT-2500
02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Has the engine been changed?
Read the TSB again i think it is more of a crank shaft sensor that needs shimmed or s0meting like that.
And always check the cap and rotor and secendary ign system and set camshaft retard.
MT

old_master
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Possibly a broken flexplate. Pull the inspection plug or remove the starter to check it.

83cutlass
02-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah its the crankshaft position sensor that needs to be replaced. You also might wanna try to replace the distributor cap. I've had problems with them crossfiring to the wrong cylinder and kicking back really hard against the starter. In fact I had one 2 weeks ago that I thought was a CKP sensor but was really a dist cap. Possiblly the CKP sensor helped induce the crossfire in the cap.
Inspection of the cap showed no obvious signs of crossfire but the problem was immediately solved after the cap was replaced.

rustymac
02-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Either Flywheel is cracked or you need to shim your starter. It sounds like the ring gear is possibly hitting the nose cone.

gus36
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
thanks, i'll try rotor and cap first. I have tried the shim thing and it got worse. I already changed the crankshaft sensor. MT mentioned setting the camshaft retard but I can't find that procedure in the service manual. Any suggetions on how to do that?

MT-2500
02-25-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks, i'll try rotor and cap first. I have tried the shim thing and it got worse. I already changed the crankshaft sensor. MT mentioned setting the camshaft retard but I can't find that procedure in the service manual. Any suggetions on how to do that?

Has the engine been changed.
One of the tsb's on the crankshaft sensor involved shimming the crank sensor on certain motor changes.

The camshaft retart setting has to be done with a engine capable scanner.
The procedure should be built in the sacanner.
Check the readings on it with the scanner.
If not within -2 or +2 turn the dist a little to bring it in as close to 0 as you can.
And should be checked /done with or after a cap and rotor replacement.
Also check the plugs and plug wires fo high restiance.
And best to use the OEM Ac-delco cap and rotor.
MT

gus36
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
The engine has not been changed. I mis typed and said camshaft when it was the crankshaft position sensor I replaced. What do you think about it being the timing chain?

Add your comment to this topic!