Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

dome override malfunction

northshoreyukon
02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
hi there,

i'm the new owner of a 2001 yukon xl slt and have quickly run in to a few 'quirks/problems'.

firstly, the dome override button seems to be malfunctioning. the manual says to leave the button in the 'out' position to keep the interior lights on auto (turn on when doors open, stay on until doors close, turn off when engine turns on, turn off when lock car with remote), however, these aren't the results we're getting. the interior lights are staying on continuously and have to been turned off by pushing the dome override button 'in'. so, at night, if we want lights on when we open the doors, we have to push the button 'out', but when we lock up, we have to push the button 'in' so the interior lights don't stay on all night (actually, it seems as though the alarm sets itself off if the interior lights stay on for more than 10-15min; great feature).

secondly, our radio/cd player no longer stays on when the key is removed from the ignition. it used to stay on until a door was opened. this problem arose about the same time as the dome override issue . . .

i know there are lots of 'tricks' with this car (ie: pushing buttons 4 times withing 6 seconds to disable something . . .), so i'm hoping that i've just set one of those by accident.

i've checked out the fuses, the manual, asked other yukon owners and searched around forums, but no luck yet in solving these problems. any info you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

2000CAYukon
02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
From the sound of it, one of the door pins may be malfunctioning and it thinks the door is always open. This would explain the radio not working after you turn it off and the dome override not working.

Open one door at a time and see if pushing the pin turns off the light. If the light does not go out, you found which one is causing the problem.

//2000CAYukon

northshoreyukon
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
i was so excited about your response that i ran straight outside to start searching for that door pin . . . i'm still searching. seriously, i've searched high and low and cannot see any pin or sensor that may be the 'open/close trigger'. is it possible that this model has a sensor in the hinge? in the door behind the panel? i asked a fellow yukon owner (same 2001 model) to check out his doors as well, and same thing, no visible door pins or sensors. am i crazy?

2000CAYukon
02-22-2008, 02:01 AM
i was so excited about your response that i ran straight outside to start searching for that door pin . . . i'm still searching. seriously, i've searched high and low and cannot see any pin or sensor that may be the 'open/close trigger'. is it possible that this model has a sensor in the hinge? in the door behind the panel? i asked a fellow yukon owner (same 2001 model) to check out his doors as well, and same thing, no visible door pins or sensors. am i crazy?

No you are not crazy. I just never looked at the Yukon that closely. The switch is built into the door latch in the door.

I was able to verify this my using a large screw driver. I slid it into the door latch on the door and the light went out.

//2000CAYukon

northshoreyukon
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the help!

i still haven't been successful with locating the sensor in the latch, but i'm still trying.

thanks again!

brcidd
02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Those switches in th elatch are called mini wedge switches- the wire color for the dome light switch is light green- this wire joins all others where it enters the BCM under the steering column. I would take a real close look at all door handles and latches- and see if there is anything obviously wrong-- like broken - wiggly, overextended etc- that may be the one you want to deal with.....Once you decide which one is at fault- then you can go inside the door to repair it-- it may also be the light green wire is pinched or grounded good somewhere- was there any aftermarket alarm or remote starter on this truck? That would be the first place to look if there is...look for a "brain box" under the dash on driver's side-- they may have tapped into the light green wire and now it is always touching a ground for some reason.....

Add your comment to this topic!