Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replace Lower Radiator Hose - Tips?

gfaus
02-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm about to replace the lower radiator hose this weekend and wondered if anyone had any advice on the procedure. Obviously I'll drain the coolant, but do I need to remove the drive belt (and supercharger belt) for additional access? Also, should I use the existing clamps or buy some better quality ones (I've heard of some issues on another thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=673873)).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2000 GTP 3.8

GTP Dad
02-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Replacing this hose is a pain since you will need to loosen, you don't have to completely remove the supercharger belt. You will need to remove the mount on which the ignition module is attached to, also you will need to remove one of the upper pulleys. After getting all this off you should be able to get to the upper part of the hose. The lower part of the hose is easier as long as the clamp is in good condition.

Replace the clamps with new ones. The worm type in stainless are the best.

When you refill use Prestone Extended Life antifreeze. It mixes with Dex but doesn't have the problems associated with Dex. Also make sure you bleed the air out of the system.

Good Luck!

Donzi4me
08-02-2013, 11:38 PM
For those looking to do this. I just replaced both hoses on a 2004 GTP. Lower hose. Loosen the belt off the pulleys. No need to remove belt. Remove tensioner and you will have access to the upper clamp. Lower clamp on hose you can get to from underneath. I did not have to remove the ignition coils bracket. Upper hose is piece of cake.

Add your comment to this topic!