Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Passat V6 Fuel Problem

kateinkansascity
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I read many of the forums concerning 1996 passat but did not see one that covers my problem. In the last month I will be driving and the vehicle seems to loose acceleration, like it is going to die. I can pump the gas peddle and bring it back to keep going. I have the fuel filter changed but noticed no difference. It will drive a mile or so before it starts this action. If I continually pump pump pump the accelerator it will keep going, but once I stop pumping it hesitates, like it is going to stall. It has died several times but restarts immediately like nothing is wrong. I had the fuel pump checked and this does not seem to be the problem. I am also blowing the fuse that controls the automatic door locks, dome lights and glove box lights, but don't think this is related.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and knows the answer? It is my bad weather car I drive, but it scares me to drive it because I am certain at some point it is just going to quit on me. It is also very scary to be going 60 on the highway and suddenly loose acceleration in heavy traffic. Help if you can, Kate

HV2JEEP
02-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Try unplugging your mass air flow sensor the next time it does that. Just an easy way to eliminate a common problem. If it runs better then replace it. If not check your spark coil pack and wires.

kateinkansascity
02-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you, I will give it a shot. I went to a local dealer when I got the car and had it checked and the only problems they detected were ball joints and transmission problems which I have since corrected so I was somewhat surprised when this happened. I will let you know and thanks. Being a female I am wary of car repair shops that might charge me an arm and a leg for somethings not even relevant.
Kate

kateinkansascity
02-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Not that part, could it be the fuel pressure regulator? And if this is possible, where is that part located please. Sorry I am a girl and totally passat ignorant.

Kate

Add your comment to this topic!