Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can you tell me

smellywetdog
02-17-2008, 07:38 PM
well the temperature in the van is still blowing cold.Ive changed out the thermostat,bled the coolant system(i think i got it right) and it still blowing cold.I did notice however that the bottom rad hose is never very warm,in fact its almost cold.does this indicate a waterpump problem?.I know people have said to check the waterpump,I should see the coolant circulating in the rad but the filler neck is very long and I cant see in at the angle required.I have not driven the van since it overheated last week,so I dont know what my next step should be.Can you please advise me.

tempfixit
02-18-2008, 12:04 AM
The way I undertand is that the coolant flows from the engine to radiator thru the top radiator hose, radiator cools off coolant and returns back to engine by lower radiator hose, so the bottom hose will be colder in temperature to the feel.

What does the temperature gauge on the instrument panel show?
After engine has cooled off completely what is the coolant level of the coolant reservoir? Sometimes it takes a few warm up and cool off cycles to make sure all air is out of system.

Can you find the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall. Check both hoses they should be approximately the temperature, if not heater core is plugged and will need to be back flushed.

You may need to check the temp setting control switch and are the door actuators working properly?

smellywetdog
02-18-2008, 03:01 AM
The way I undertand is that the coolant flows from the engine to radiator thru the top radiator hose, radiator cools off coolant and returns back to engine by lower radiator hose, so the bottom hose will be colder in temperature to the feel.

What does the temperature gauge on the instrument panel show?
After engine has cooled off completely what is the coolant level of the coolant reservoir? Sometimes it takes a few warm up and cool off cycles to make sure all air is out of system.

Can you find the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall. Check both hoses they should be approximately the temperature, if not heater core is plugged and will need to be back flushed.

You may need to check the temp setting control switch and are the door actuators working properly?
Ok Larry,Ill check the heater hoses and report back with my findings.to answer your other questions,the temp guage is reading dead center of normal on the guage.As for the actuator doors,will I be able to hear the doors open and close as I swtich from cold to hot on the panel?..If so ,that may be the issue because its is silent.I will stick my head under the dash and have Dad fiddle with the control tomorrow and see if I get a better view there.By the way,once again I thank you for the email,and the info you sent,Ill try and pay the good deed forward to someone else soon!

smellywetdog
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
so,heres where im at.I had a power flush done today,and now I have heat but it has overheated again!.I think the waterpump is cooked and needs to be changed out.This ,I am not looking forward to.Seems that the coolant is not flowing through the system as it should,(attendant at lube place says so)so my conclusion is a waterpump fault.The top hose is hot,the bottom hose is still very cool,and the heater hoses are warm.If the pump isnt pumping properly,wouldnt the cooland just heat up in the engine,and not "pump through" the system to cool again?this thing is gonna drive me to drinking!

tempfixit
02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
To me it seems that the pump is working. Does the coolant fan operate whenit needs to?
You may also have a restricted radiator.
Have you installed a new radiator cap.
Do a coolant pressure test.
ANother possibility is a leaking head gasket.

Add your comment to this topic!