Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Ram 5.9 2wd quits when warm

xtreme/t-type
02-17-2008, 02:37 PM
My father has a 2001 Dodge Ram Ext Cab 5.9l 2wd.
It starts fine and drives smooth. However once it gets warm (after
~5 miles) it just quits and will not restart for about 30-45 minutes. It does not have a check engine light and using a scanner there are no codes. I wanted him to take it to a garage but the garage told him if there is no codes they would be just guessing.

Anyone have any ideas.

jdl
02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
When the vehicle refuses to start, check the basics. Have somebody crank it while you check for spark at the plugs. You can pull a plug boot, stick a known good plug in the boot. Lay metal part of plug on metal part of engine, look for spark at the tip of plug. If you have good spark check fuel pressure. Do the testing while the problem is ongoing.

Because the problem seems to be temp related, you might check the CTS. I'm not saying replace it. You can do some tests.

xtreme/t-type
02-19-2008, 01:31 PM
okay after the problem occured this past time the truck has no spark. (It also did have a code of 1391.)
Getting a lil closer Thanks for the help.

jdl
02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
The code means intermittent cam or crank sensor signal. Those are hall switches, three wires, ref voltage-- ground-- signal.

My info says possible problem with the cam sensor, or there might be a problem with the timing chain. When the problem is ongoing, I'd look for a signal from the cam and crank sensor both, with the engine cranking. The only problem is, I believe those signals have to be in sync, at the least you would need a scanner that showed if they were in sync. I'm getting ahead of myself, probably one of those sensors is putting out an intermittent signal.

Autopro1962
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
When you checked for spark did you also pull the coil wire off the cap to see if there was spark coming from the coil-coil may have spark but not going threw the cap or rotor.Also you should check for injector pulse,I have see bad coils sometimes but most likely it is a crank or cam sensor,more crank than cam.

rockwood84
03-09-2008, 01:33 AM
yeah crankshaft sensor will stall it then cool off then will let it crank and run.put a crankshaft sensor in.

elite1msmith
06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I think im having the same problem.....truck sat for 2 weeks....low on fuel we drove it to the gas station....for the first 2 hours it would die at idle...then the problem went away

drove it yesterday , and same thing,...after about 5 mins, it started sputtering, dieing, rough, miss fires, sounded like the timing was way off,, loss of power.... I shut the truck off for 30 mins, restated it....ran fine drove it home...it died again, and gave me a code- CMP bad or Camshaft chain out of maxuim allowance

drove i a few more times, no problem, check engine light went off, drove fine, until today , same thing 5 mins down the road,...and the timing is way off....checked it again, just gave me a general mis fire code

so is it the CMP? Crank sensor? the converter slowly getting plugged with 100k on it?

i did notice that even with my engine running rough as i pulled in my house the brake acted like the vacum assit was not working? pressure in the manifold?

HV2JEEP
07-08-2008, 04:51 AM
O2 sensor pre cat. I had the same thing happen to me. I messed with the fuel and ignition system with no results and finally it threw a code for an o2 sensor. Which I figured couldn’t have that big an impact on how the truck ran but I replaced it anyway and it fixed it.

elite1msmith
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
im still messing with mine....

Ok , I did check the Timing chain...there was some slope....not alot, I changed it anyway

The problem that i have is dirrectly related to when the truck gets hot...the quicker it gets warm, the quicker it acts up

i messed around with the coolant temp sensor , and i dont think that is the problem, plus the gauge reads correctly

So is there a check for the O2 sensor, or is this a spend plug and Pray deal?

and i have not yet tried the crank sensor becuase my truck will always restart....it just instently runs like crap

HV2JEEP
07-09-2008, 04:39 AM
I think a repair manual will have a way to test it. The reason it doesn’t run bad before it warms up is because the computer runs in an open loop until the o2 sensor reaches 300+ degrees. Then it takes the data from the sensor (correct or not) and adjusts the timing and fuel to adjust for a high or low reading. I think you can get an o2 sensor from a place like autopartswarehouse.com for around $60. shop around my local napa wanted $90 and advanced auto wanted around $60. same part and brand

Add your comment to this topic!