Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new rims and tires

scottfootball52
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I just purchase new rims and tires with my 2000 honda prelude sh. Stock rims were 17", but I up graded with 18" for less wind resistance with the frame, basically less space from the frame and tire. when I turn left or right to hard while excelerating or have to much weight in the back it intend to rub against my frame what should I do to fix that problem? Let me know if it looks good too?

http://a150.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/19/l_fb70ce141dc8f76eb62256b3a400ff05.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=1358869&imageID=20786504)

http://a627.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_b982763993adc4b71c52b3c4c229fec2.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=1358869&imageID=20158043)

frisnosity
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Holy wheel gap! Some coilovers might be needed! How much do those wheels weigh?

frisnosity
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
What is the the first number in the tire size? Anything over 215/220 will give problems. 215 is just right on my car.

Greenblurr93
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
1. youre offset is prolly wrong and causing the rubbing
2. your tire could be too wide
3. I dont like the look of chrome on imports
4. bigger rims wont give you less wind resistance, whoever told you that should be beaten with the BS stick
5. To close the gap from wheel well to tire, you need to lower the car, but that will make your rubbing prolems worse until you fix that

slideways...
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
god throw those rims in the garbage. first of all bigger is always worse as far as speed goes. if you want less 4x4 fender gap ridiculousness, get some coilovers. and 17s are the biggest any prelude should get. ever. and the 1991 and older preludes shouldnt even go that big. if your dead set on the rims you have, i feel sorry for you. but get some spacers and roll your fenders. and those people who are looking at your whip as you bling past them are laughing at you not admiring you.

Greenblurr93
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM
come on, play nice, its his car and if he likes it then thats cool with me. But personally i wouldnt be caught dead with that style rim on my car..

frisnosity
02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I like the color of the car, there are so many good rims out there. Wheel spacers would help but there bad for the bearings.

slideways...
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
theres two arguments here. the 'its his car so let him ruin it' argument, and the 'its up to us to prevent bad taste around the world' argument. if i can help kids stay away from the super street influence then i think my argument is successful.

if we hold our tongues when bad choices are made, thats when we get cars like this
http://www.cvs.k12.mi.us/bhadfield/electronicpublishing/2002/2896/Honda_Civic_3.jpg

yeah i do know its his choice but im gonna take the proactive stance to prevent rice.

Greenblurr93
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
the point of this forum is for members to ask questions and get answers.... the ONLY question he asked that involved another members opinion was what we thought of his rims... I said they werent my style as i dont like chrome, you however took it one step further and made the comment about people laughing at his car, which IMO was uncalled for, We're here to anwser questions that people have not make fun of them. And you could still "do your part in preventing rice"... but you could do it an a way with alot less attitude. just my 2 cents

wiseguy01
02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
:iagree:

slideways...
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
i suppose you do have a point, but he did ask for my opinion and the stronger my opinion about something is the stronger the words i will use. keep in mind its still my opinion but i think a lot of people agree with me whether they want to risk saying it in a forum or not. dont get me wrong i might come off as an asshole but if there are legit questions i will answer them objectively, you just have to look between the rants for it. because of my willingness to voice my opinions i know i have been skating the ban line for most of my time here, but most of the mods have seen that i have always been very helpful when i answer problems so rightfully i havent been permabanned (yet?).
you (the mods on AF and you specifically) have been pretty lenient with me and i thank you for your willingness to let free speech reign as long as it doesnt get too offensive. im not gonna stop voicing my opinions loudly, and im not gonna stop being as helpful as i can here on AF. i have been given the gift of talent and knowledge in the field of auto repair and performance and i dont plan on wasting it by only applying myself at my 9-to-5.

about saying that people will laugh at him about his choice of rims, i dont think thats going too far, its the same as many other statements in that if he doesnt choose to believe it or if its plain untrue, then my statement by fact cant be offensive or even apply to him. i know your just trying to guard against the millions in this world that are way too concerned with being 'PC' but catering too much to the easily offended is how people's rights start getting infringed on. its not a human right to not get offended by what i say, and it is my right to say it. if its not prejudicial, its his choice whether to take offense at it or not. if someone said they thought my opinions about how a 240sx looked stupid and im retarted for driving one, it wont even enter my mind that i could be offended by this statement, as its not true in my world.

sorry about the rant, its hard to speak my mind in today's society and i want to do everything i can to make sure that right doesnt go away.

Greenblurr93
02-23-2008, 12:09 AM
This isnt the place (meaning this thread) to discuss issues of this nature, PM sent

H23A1Lude
03-01-2008, 09:33 AM
god throw those rims in the garbage. first of all bigger is always worse as far as speed goes. if you want less 4x4 fender gap ridiculousness, get some coilovers. and 17s are the biggest any prelude should get. ever. and the 1991 and older preludes shouldnt even go that big. if your dead set on the rims you have, i feel sorry for you. but get some spacers and roll your fenders. and those people who are looking at your whip as you bling past them are laughing at you not admiring you.
Agreed. It's almost disgracing Ludes putting rims like that on one. Those belong on the Cadillacs.

Add your comment to this topic!