Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speedometer calibration on 95 Tacoma

kukukbird
02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a 95 2wd tacoma (2.4L , automatic) that still has the factory 14" wheels on it. I want to put bigger wheels but I do not want the speedometer to be off. Can anyone tell me how I would calibrate the speedometer if I went to 15" wheels and taller tires? :banghead:

Flash75
02-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Your speedometer is probably electronic with no speedometer drive cable. Check with a 4 wheel drive repair shop for suggestions on where to get your speedometer calibrated. If it's electronic it's not as simple as turning a screw or changing a gear. If it's a mechanical speedometer, you can have a speedometer shop build a ration adapter.

Clifton

kukukbird
02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
It looks like I have a mechanical speedometer. I looked at my transmission and saw that I have a cable going into the side of it.
Can the plastic gear be changed that the cable goes into or does the gear on the tailshaft need changed also.

Flash75
02-20-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure if different plastic gears are available. Some older American cars did have several different plastic gears, but they had a housing you could rotate to correct the gear seating when a different diameter gear is used. Ask your dealer if Toyota has different plastic gears.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!