Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote start issue

mmcpeck
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I did a search and found one other post about this, but it didn't have an answer and was from over a year ago, so I'm asking it again.

I just bought an '06 Rav4 and and have the below problem,

When I remote engine start, it:
Turns on engine
Doors remain locked
I unlock doors, engine stops.
I have to re-start the car/engine with key after I get in it.

I've tried a couple of different things and it always shuts down when I try to unlock the doors.

I have had remote start in a couple of vehicles before, both factory and aftermarket and they have never shut the engine off when I hit the unlock button. This is frustrating, and seems pointless to me. Why would I want the engine to shut down when I unlock the car? The car can't go anywhere until the key is put in the ignition and turned on.

I find it hard to believe that this is how Toyota designed this, and would be dissapointed if it is.

Am I doing something wrong in the remote start procedure, or is this a problem? And if it is has anybody ever heard of it before?

It's still under warranty so if this is a problem, I can bring it to the dealer, but just wanted to check here first.

Thanks, Mike.

mmcpeck
02-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Found the answer, talked to a Toyota tech, and for whatever reason, that IS how Toyota designed the remote start to work.

Apparently Toyota was late in the game for having factory remote start, so this is one of the first systems they offered ('06), not sure if the newer factory remote starts still do it.

Even the tech I talked to said it made no sense and was stupid, to which I agreed.

It makes no sense to me that it would shut the engine down. The car can't go anywhere until the key is in the ignition and obviously if you have the remote to unlock it then you can get in a just re-start it, so I don't even see how shutting the engine down would make it anymore secure.

The only thing this stupid system does is put double wear on my starter motor...Great.

Add your comment to this topic!