Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hood scoops

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I want to get a carbon fiber hood for my 95 impreza with a hood scoop. However my parents won't let me; I need a way to persuade them to let me get it!

I almost know how they work; they force air into the engine.

I'd rather have a functional hood scoop rather than for decorational.

Is there anything I should know, for example, the pros cons, and the good brands.

Thanks!

slideways...
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
dont get one. not worth the money. get an aluminum hood with the STi scoop from a japanese market 1995 STi. cheaper and almost as light. and factory fit and finish.

Sarra
03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I want to get a carbon fiber hood for my 95 impreza with a hood scoop. However my parents won't let me; I need a way to persuade them to let me get it!

Is there anything I should know, for example, the pros cons, and the good brands.

Thanks!

Wow, where to start...

The hood scoop on a NA subaru does absolutely nothing. The air intake comes from the fender, behind the passenger side headlight assembly. In order to make it functional, you would have to put an airfilter on your throttle body, which is nearly impossible on an older, MAF based car like yours. If you have the 1.8 liter engine, you should invest the money into a turbo kit, which would actually make your car faster.

The hood scoops on turboed cars forces are over an intercooler, not into the engine.

Basically, you aren't going to have a functional hood scoop on an old wagon, unless you turbo the crap out of it.

freakray
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM

You don't know how they work.

Then why do you want to put one on your car?

slideways...
03-28-2008, 06:26 PM
yeah sorry i missed the part where he said he wanted it functional. unless you get a top mount intercooler for a turbo car, a hood scoop is useless.

Da-RiSiN-sMoKe
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I figure I'll just get a decorational one.

http://knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Do these work? Or just get a short ram intake?

kodonnell
05-24-2008, 09:57 AM
If you get a "decorational" hood scoop, youll be no different than a Mustang Driver. Dont do it. Youll be a laughing stock of the Subaru community. Im just trying to help you save face.

Add your comment to this topic!