Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

left turn signal steady on

casey1225
02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
The left turning signal on my 99 PA won't turn off and the right one blinks faster than usual. I have to disconnect the battery to turn it off so as not to kill the battery. Does this mean the turning signal relay has to be replaced?

82Stang
02-17-2008, 08:11 AM
The left turning signal on my 99 PA won't turn off and the right one blinks faster than usual. I have to disconnect the battery to turn it off so as not to kill the battery. Does this mean the turning signal relay has to be replaced?

check the bulb in the rears.

casey1225
02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
The bulbs are fine.

82Stang
02-18-2008, 08:45 AM
The bulbs are fine.

I always check the bulbs first and if they are fine then:

-flasher (Autozone say's it is "Center of the instrument panel")
-check plug and wiring on left front(possibly an ungrounded/grounded wire or short

BNaylor
02-18-2008, 08:55 AM
This problem does not sound like the turn signal flasher. :2cents: It is best to check for 12 volts and good ground at the respective lamp socket first. Possible it could be the lamp socket or a wiring problem back to the multifunction switch (MFS) or the MFS itself. But it sounds like bad electrical contacts at the MFS (turn signal stalk). See link below.

Click here (http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=01&acpartnbr=D6263D)

Also, it would help to clarify whether the left turn signal works properly less not turning off or canceling. Plus is it doing this with ignition to off?

casey1225
02-18-2008, 11:22 AM
The left turn signal stays on whether the car is running or not and does not blink when using turn signal, the right ones work fine except that it's flashing way faster than it used to. I have to dissconnect the battery when not using the car so the left turning lights don't kill the battery. I went to a mechanic and he said it was the turning signal relay and that to fix it he has to remove the whole steering column and it would cost $650. I want to know if he is trying to rip me off.

BNaylor
02-18-2008, 11:47 AM
From my understanding the right and left directional signals share the same flasher relay if that is what is being referred to. It doesn't sound related to the problem with the right side although it I guess it is possible and may not hurt to try it. The right side has the symptoms of a bad bulb, bad lamp socket or an open in the wiring if they are working but just blinking fast. The relays which includes the hazard 4 way are located in the steering column area but the complete steering column does not need to be removed to my recollection. Just remove the kick panels under the dash, if any and you should be able to see and access the relay. You have to look far up into the dash. Use a good lighting source. So what the mechanic is saying doesn't sound right and it sounds like a ripoff to me. $650.00? :rolleyes:

With the right signals on do you get the clicking sound in addition to the flashing signal indicator lamp and does it cancel properly after making a right turn?

casey1225
02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, I hear the clicking and it does cancel properly after making a right turn.

HotZ28
02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
What ever is causing the left lights to stay on, is in turn, causing the right to flash rapidly. You could have a faulty adaptive light control module. I agree, this does not sound like the flasher (relay). I would see if a dealer can diagnose this problem and give an estimate on repairs. $650.00 is excessive even for a dealer repair of this type. Even if you do not agree to let the dealer make the repair, I would trust their diagnoses before the average “mechanic”. :grinyes: EDIT: I forgot to ask if you do you have the Adaptive Light Monitor? The control module I was referring to is part of this system. It is rare that they fail, but when they do, it can cause this type of problem. :uhoh:

In addition, don’t forget about the turn signal switch assembly (shown below), as a potential source of the problem. They run about $250.00! ++:swear:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3853/turnswitchassyzd1.jpg

casey1225
02-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I took the car to 2 more mechanics and then a dealer. They all said it was the turn signal switch assembly and they thought the other guy was trying to rip me off.
I appreciate all your help guys. Thank you so much!:smooch:

kawal
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I just started a thread called "Weird Lighting Problem" and my son's problem on his '97 PA may also be in the MF switch. But we made the mistake of thinking it was the flasher module and spent four hours trying to replace it. It was the craziest design I've ever seen for it's mounting. The guy who wanted $650 to replace it was probably just following the service manual guidelines, which does require just about complete disassembly of the entire dash. The little module is mounted way up high under the dash, above the lighting control module. We finally just broke the mounting tab off and pulled it out a different way. But what a job! That Buick engineer should have been fired.

Sounds like the same issue in '99!

Add your comment to this topic!