Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Different Gases for spraypainting

michael lambert
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey peoples,

Anyone ever try anything other than just compressed air for spraying with? would it really matter?

reason I ask is I run off scuba tanks, now on the weekend my regular tank i use ( compressed air ) ran out so i ended up plugging into my set of doubles which had a 30/30 mix in it, meaning it was 30% pure o2 30% prure Helium and then 40% compressed air and what goes with it.

I found that when i laid down my body coat the second coat of the same model with the mixed air the coat seemed to go on much smoother than the first coat and dried seemed almost twice as fast? Not sure if it was because of the different compound of Helium being lighter than air did it evaporate faster or release from the paint that much faster?

Anyone got any ideas?

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I know of people using CO2 tanks for welding or foodservice/beverage dispensers, it's a dry "air" and great for airbrushing, and very quiet. If you already have scuba tanks then you probably are okay. Not sure how much you pay to get them refilled, CO2 tanks last a long time airbrushing, and most people recommend 2 tanks, so you never run out.

michael lambert
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I am using AL 80CF tanks they are filled to 3000psi. Using compressed air for Scuba usage is very dry and moisture free has to be by law so i know its allways a nice clean dry air.

I just noticed when i was using the Helium mix i guess like CO2 its drying to start with so i guess it dries faster on the finished product.

Murray Kish
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I use N2.

My gas supplier recommended this over CO2. Said it was better, and safer.

I love it.

Murray

nakadds
02-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I use N2.

My gas supplier recommended this over CO2. Said it was better, and safer.

I love it.

Murray

Can you use a CO2 tank for this, and how much does it cost to fill?

Murray Kish
02-16-2008, 11:29 AM
The tank they gave me was stainless steel, and I really have no idea what the specifics are re the different tanks and gases. They told me both CO2 and N2 were common, but that the N2 was a bit safer if there was a 'leak'.

I haven't re-filled mine yet, so I don't know the actual re-fill cost. They told me how much it was, but I've forgotten.

Best thing to do is to open the yellow pages, and lookup suppliers for Welding Gases. Often there are also places that supply Medical gases as well (ie. O2, etc). Call them, tell them exactly what you're doing, and they'll help you with costs/choices and all the stuff.

Not cheap to get started, that's for sure. A compressor is definitely less expensive. However, for me, noise was the issue.

I have a silent compressor I made from a fridge compressor and tank that I used for years. This was great, and worked well. The only issue was in keeping the moisture/oil out of the air. I never had any problems with it getting in the paint, but there was a lot of filter changes needed.

I got some 'birthday money' one year, and decided to invest it into the N2 tank and regulator. It's great. Love it.

Murray

Patami
02-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I know of people using CO2 tanks for beverage dispensers, it's a dry "air" and great for airbrushing, and very quiet. CO2 tanks last a long time airbrushing, and most people recommend 2 tanks, so you never run out.

Do you know how they conect the airbrush to a tank like that? I"ll guess you need to have an regulator of some sort on the top of the tank right?

CFarias
02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you know how they conect the airbrush to a tank like that? I"ll guess you need to have an regulator of some sort on the top of the tank right?

A CO2 system will require an adapter for an airbrush hookup. CO2 connectors run threads in reverse from other systems as a safety measure. Simply ask for a reverse thread adapter, they are usually in stock. Some of the better supply houses can make you one if they are not readily available.

Yes, you will need a regulator with a dial that measures outlet pressure. Some people use a second dial to measure tank pressure, but it's not needed. Have the supplier weigh your system when its empty and when its full. As you use the tank the weight of the system will go from the full weight to the empty weight when it's nearly dry. This will save you a few bucks.

Patami
02-19-2008, 11:31 PM
A CO2 system will require an adapter for an airbrush hookup. CO2 connectors run threads in reverse from other systems as a safety measure. Simply ask for a reverse thread adapter, they are usually in stock. Some of the better supply houses can make you one if they are not readily available.

Yes, you will need a regulator with a dial that measures outlet pressure. Some people use a second dial to measure tank pressure, but it's not needed. Have the supplier weigh your system when its empty and when its full. As you use the tank the weight of the system will go from the full weight to the empty weight when it's nearly dry. This will save you a few bucks.

Thanks for the reply

Add your comment to this topic!