Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

K&N airfilter verses stock air filter

impalalover
02-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Does anyone know if having a k& n airfilter in the winter in a 05 impala 3.4 causes the car to burn more fuel in the cold winter temps as the car is getting much more cold airflow than a regular filter,in the summer the K&n filter is great as i find it has a little more power and greater fuel economy in the warm weather but i find my car with the k&n filter is drinking the gas with the K&n not to mention the winter blend of gas,anyone know if it is better to have the stock air filter in the car for the winter to make her better on fuel as she will not be getting as much cold air in through the mass flow air and throttle body?

bobl99
02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a 2006 Impala with a 3.9 and I put a K&N in when I bought it. It had 10K miles and it improved the milage immediately. I have noticed in the winter that the MPG is lower but I think that it is just the winter gas. I will do a little homework to see if there is a big difference.

impalalover
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I have a 2006 Impala with a 3.9 and I put a K&N in when I bought it. It had 10K miles and it improved the milage immediately. I have noticed in the winter that the MPG is lower but I think that it is just the winter gas. I will do a little homework to see if there is a big difference.alright then thanks,let me know what your up too

97cv
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Just my :2cents: on winter gas.

Colder winter air is more dense. It by volume contains more oxygen. Your computer reads this and adds more fuel to keep the mixture correct.

impalalover
02-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Just my :2cents: on winter gas.

Colder winter air is more dense. It by volume contains more oxygen. Your computer reads this and adds more fuel to keep the mixture correct.thanks for the reply so i think what you are saying is the k&n in the cold winter temp's will burn more gas?,so i should be using a stock air filter to save a few miles per gallon?

97cv
02-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Im saying its the air NOT the filter.

Add your comment to this topic!