Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your turbo is too small

CassiesMan
02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
My turbo is tinny. I need a bigger one like this.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/GothamRacing/HPIM0302.jpg

Local build at a local shop. Built RB26DETT, GT5533R. Getting stuffed into an S13. I want money like that...

Polygon
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Can anyone say.........

TURBO LAG/DYNO QUEEN!

Still, it's impressive. Now a WRX turbo, that's small.

Sleepr awd
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
you know, i have a body part taht MIGHT actually fit in that.

kidding

that thing is RIDICULOUS. i'd expect 7's on something a size smaller and 8's on that one since it wouldn't spool until he got halfway down the track!

his injectors might as well be the size of 2 liter bottles!!

CivRacer95
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Pffttt...what a tool.

Every racer knows nowadays smallers turbos are better for lighter engines...

Kinda looks like the engine might Flintstone it and topple over to one side because of the sheer size of that thing...

AMGalltheway
02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
where did he get that thing off a peterbilt?!!?

CassiesMan
02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I'll get more info on it tomorrow. They are shooting for 1400whp. The same shop is doing the exact same set up on a race port 20B-REW.

72chevelleOhio
02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
where did he get that thing off a peterbilt?!!? Looks like a stock Series 60 Detroit Diesel turbo....it can power 12.7 liters easy enough, why not put it on a car? :naughty:

BeZerK2112
02-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Can anyone say.........

TURBO LAG/DYNO QUEEN!

Still, it's impressive. Now a WRX turbo, that's small.
You've never seen the turbo on a VW then... I had a hard time finding mine before I sold it!

That large of a turbo is actually kind of funny. I understand that they are shooting for a lot of WHP but seriously! By the time that turbo spools they'll shift and blow off! I once saw a video of a supra with the same type of set up. It had over 1000WHP but the spool time was hurendous!

CassiesMan
02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Garrett GT5533R. It weighs 70 pounds, and can flow 68% more than a GT42R 102mm. Twin scroll manifold, five inch downpipe, 104mm throttle body, Motec M800. Its gonna be one of three RB26DETT 240s in the area. The other one is sticking with a smaller turbo and around 1000whp. The other one was built and tuned for E85 (ugh) but is running good numbers as well.

Gotian
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
You've never seen the turbo on a VW then... I had a hard time finding mine before I sold it!

Youre not kidding, the turbo on a VW is the size of a fist. And unfortunately for Rob there he has a VW turbo, lol!

here's the VW turbo in my jetta, and its zoomed in to max, lol

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/_dude_u_weirdo/kris%20pictures/Turbo.jpg

CassiesMan
02-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I've seen ours. A wrecked MS3 went up for a part out, and one of the local MS3ers picked up the turbo to see if he can get some work done to it (Port, bigger wheel, etc.). The thing is miniscule. I was like...ah, how cute, a baby turbo.

Gotian
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah but you have to admit for how small our turbos are they were well built and can take a freaking beating.

Polygon
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM

That large of a turbo is actually kind of funny. I understand that they are shooting for a lot of WHP but seriously! By the time that turbo spools they'll shift and blow off! I once saw a video of a supra with the same type of set up. It had over 1000WHP but the spool time was hurendous!

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Images/WRX.jpg

Gotian
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
^^^ that the one in the baron?

Polygon
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
^^^ that the one in the baron?

LOL, nope. The Baron has a Garrett T03, it's an average size turbo. That one is the stocker out of a WRX. I'd say it's about as small as a VW turbo.

CassiesMan
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Thats why they are usually roll racers. Those big power Supras may take for ever to spool (as will this set up), but they can also spin the wheels with slicks at 100+mph. Slowly, it seems, most of the Texas Supras are migrating north from Houston and Austin, and I'm seeing more and more up here. Mostly because of Dynosaur and MVP, least thats my theory.

I'll see if I can dig up the picture of the 20B-REW set up. That, and the size comparison picture to give you an idea. For those of you that are name junkies, this is all being done at Gotham under the watchful eye of Steve Kan. Gotian...stop pussy footing around and give that man a call.

Gotian
02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Thats why they are usually roll racers. Those big power Supras may take for ever to spool (as will this set up), but they can also spin the wheels with slicks at 100+mph. Slowly, it seems, most of the Texas Supras are migrating north from Houston and Austin, and I'm seeing more and more up here. Mostly because of Dynosaur and MVP, least thats my theory.

I'll see if I can dig up the picture of the 20B-REW set up. That, and the size comparison picture to give you an idea. For those of you that are name junkies, this is all being done at Gotham under the watchful eye of Steve Kan. Gotian...stop pussy footing around and give that man a call.

do you have any idea how much it costs to turbo an RX-8? 8k for the kit alone, after the installation, tuning and dyno time youre looking close to 9-10k just for 400whp, not my cup of tea to toss out 10k. Besides I still need tires, lol.

Anyways i have met and spoken with steve before, he told me how much he charges for tuning and such, about 300 per session which isnt bad at all, but he is just the tuner/programmer when he comes down here.

CassiesMan
02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
do you have any idea how much it costs to turbo an RX-8? 8k for the kit alone, after the installation, tuning and dyno time youre looking close to 9-10k just for 400whp, not my cup of tea to toss out 10k. Besides I still need tires, lol.

Anyways i have met and spoken with steve before, he told me how much he charges for tuning and such, about 300 per session which isnt bad at all, but he is just the tuner/programmer when he comes down here.

Who said anything about turboing, lol. I'm just saying get that thing tuned. I/H/E with Steve Kan...make that thing a screamer!

Gotian
02-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Who said anything about turboing, lol. I'm just saying get that thing tuned. I/H/E with Steve Kan...make that thing a screamer!

I/H/E = no gains from an RX-8

Have you ever taken a look at the exhaust in the RX-8? It's almost a complete 2 1/2 inch straight pipe, there is only one bend and when I replace the mid-pipe it has the same bend in it. In the Exhaust the only thing that will get you any power what so ever is if you replace the mid-pipe section with a catless non resonated mid-pipe. doing this will gain a maximum of 8whp (when not tuned for it) and you shoot flames out of your exhaust because the car runs super rich.

The intake actually makes you lose power. So what I did was replace the lower section of the box and added a cone filter using the top part of the box as a heat shield (works quite well too) which then by passes the restrictive part anyways which is the VFAD which only opens at certain speeds to allow more air in (so now im letting more air in anyways) and the engine sounds alot louder.

Headers are way too expensive and dont net you anymore than about 5whp. definately not worth it.

And to have the car tuned I would need a management system or a reflash from racing beat since cobb doesnt have a reflash for N/A 8's. The management system Interceptor-X would be the one to get since it can be programmed much easier and safer than say the greddy system, but it costs about 1200 new and 1000 used (no one wants to give those up for cheaper). The Reflash from Racing beat is obsolete now, with the reflash from mazda and the last rx-8's to roll out of the warehouse having a ECU that is up to date netting as much power out of the car with the stock ECU as possible. People have compared stock to the Racing beat and found no difference so why pay 300 for it?

All Im gonna do with mine is grab the mid-pipe, Mazdaspeed shocks and springs and be done with it.

I was thinking about supercharging it but they raised the price so much since they did the reflash from cobb that its not worth it anymore. 300whp for 7k? might as well pay the 9k for the turbo 400whp....:disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!