Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Key stuck in ignition-Please Help

Open-Target
02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I need help.....I have a '95 honda civic that the key is stuck in the ignition. Everything opperates fine except the key releasing from the lock cylinder and coming out. ( it won't go to the lock position) Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it out?

Thanks so much,

Open-Target

Greenblurr93
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
any reason for the overly huge text? anyways.... if the car is an auto... make sure its in park.. also try and turn the wheel a bit.... if the steering wheel lock is on and there is pressure against it, it wont let the key out...

if those dont work the switch that lets the cars key lock when the shifter is in park may be broken

Nasp016
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Open-Target,

I had a similar problem in my 98 Izusu Rodeo and simply drove around with 2nd key for months before reading up on the web. The key point (no pun intended) is that ignition switch will not return to the "lock" position. For the automatic transmission there is typically a cable that runs from the push button on the gear shift to the key lock mechanism.

I was able to paritally remove my plastic housing on the steering column to see what goes on in there. I could easily see the cable attachment point to the lock and by pressing the gear shift button could see it move. But it would never move fully back. I was able to reach in and pull it with my finger the extra 1/2 inch that it needed...and was able to turn the key to the full lock position, of course the key then came out easily.

My problem is that the end of the cable carrier is now loose from the steering column where it was once fixed. So, each time I shift out of PARK, the cable housing moves with the cable (when it is supposed to stay put). And thus each time I go back into PARK the cable doesn't go back fully. So what I do is I'm able to reach up under the dash and push the cable housing up towards myself and get my key out each time.

A finally solution, at least for me, would be to remove all of the lower dash below the steeting column and re-attach the end of the cable carrier to the column. This seemed to be more work for me than was worth it.

Good luck.

wiseguy01
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
95 honda does not use cable for release its all controlled by electronics no cable worse case scenario the lock cylinder has failed and needs to be replaced but heres the good part since the key is in all you have to do is take the column apart and look on the side of the lock cylinder and there should be a hole stick a pin and push the pin in while the key is in the on position and the whole lock cylinder should release key and all and now either take it to a locksmith or buy a new one at autozone and take it to the lock smithe and have it rekeyed to the existing key so you have one key otherwise you will have two keys one to start the car and one to unlock the door

Add your comment to this topic!