Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Will the CSFI to MFI spider swap fix my 1996 Blazer?

mixin
02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Disclaimer: I am receiving the parts today and will be doing the job regardless, so this poll is really for entertainment purposes. All arm-chair quarterbacks/shadetree mechanics (like myself...), please vote if you want to play along and have some fun with debating whether or not the swap will fix my truck's problems. I plan on finding the time to do the job sometime in the next 5 days or so and will then post with the results.

HISTORY:

Truck has 125k miles and developed an intermittent miss under part throttle only. The miss goes away after the engine has been driven for about 15min or so. The miss became progressively more severe until an 0300 random misfire code was set (only code set). And TC will not lock up when the engine is missing. With much props to Old Master and MT-2500, I found a problem with the fuel pressure where it rapidly drops off after shut off. I could not verfiy fuel pressure while the truck was exhibiting the missing however. Old Master devised a great way to temporarily install a ball valve in the fuel pressure line near the filter to determine if the pressure loss was occuring in the fuel tank or inside the intake manifold. While I took his great advice and made the tool, I have decided to take the scientific approach and throw money at it!:lol:

I figured, I'm going to take the fuel tank down again in the spring as the fuel pump/sending unit I installed still did not fix my fuel gauge problem (although caused different symptoms) and the truck runs out of gas with 2-gallons left in it. So, if the problem remains in the fuel tank, I can address it then. AND from the research I have done here and elsewhere, MOST of the poppet style CSFI system have problems that are remedied by the MFI swap. I also plan on leaving the engine stock.

I have already changed my upper and lower intake gaskets, so I just ordered the 12568332 MFI spider and the 88894355 bracket. I have heard others not needing the bracket, but I didn't want to get my truck apart at midnight and then decide I really wanted it just to save $25. I placed the order with GM Parts Direct on 2/6 and Fed Ex is dropping off my order today 2/12. Pretty quick IMO, got lucky compared to others I guess. Total was $212, shipped to my front door. Nice.

Please vote and have fun chipping in your $0.02!!!

Mike

mixin
02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Did swap yesterday, truck's problems are fixed! If anyone is interested I can post up a new thread detailing the install (sorry I dont have a camera) and give some good pointers. regardless, I'll post back with new MPGs.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!