01' Silverado fuel gauge fluctuation...sending unit maybe?

Caballero
02-12-2008, 03:35 AM
I have a 01 Silverado 5.3L and the fuel gauge is definitely screwy. It will go all the way empty for a while (on a full tank) and then show 3/4 and then back down to empty. The low fuel light never comes on though when the gauge is on empty???

I'm sure it's the fuel sending unit. Is it common for these trucks to have the fuel sending unit go? I really didn't want to drop the tank or remove the bed especially since this happened and the worst possible time financially. I was hoping it might be a ground, loose connection or something simple but that's never the case.:banghead:

If anyone has replaced the sending unit and could give me a recommendation on where to get one without paying a fortune for it would be greatly appreciated.

masapell
02-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I Is it common for these trucks to have the fuel sending unit go?

Say this ten times, "I love my truck, I love my truck!" On a serious note, you will get many responses about how common the problem is. If you search the forum, you will also find a myriad of posts about whether to drop the tank or take the bed off. Either way, the sending unit/fuel pump assembly is several hundred dollars (better to replace both since you're in there!). Mine does this same thing, though I am not sure why yours is not showing that the tank is empty. That leads me to believe it could potentially be something else. I definitely understand the financial reasons not to do it at this time. I am definitely in that same boat. So, I will wait until my tax rebate check from the good ol' feds arrives (Thanks George and company as I will be using it to stimulate the economy!). Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sincerely,
Matt

homegrowm311
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
My truck did the same thing and was also hard to start, changing the fuel pump fixed both problems. Mine would always register empty after I filled up and I would drive by my trip mileage not the gauge because it was so bad. The pump and the sending unit are one assembly and I didn't see the option for buying one or the other separately when I was doing my searching. If you have some friends to help, it's really easy to lift the bed off, me and my dad lifted mine off. Changing it yourself will save you a ton of cash and make sure you get a Delco. Call around, my local dealers were way more expensive than where I got mine.

Kris

j cAT
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a 01 Silverado 5.3L and the fuel gauge is definitely screwy. It will go all the way empty for a while (on a full tank) and then show 3/4 and then back down to empty. The low fuel light never comes on though when the gauge is on empty???

I'm sure it's the fuel sending unit. Is it common for these trucks to have the fuel sending unit go? I really didn't want to drop the tank or remove the bed especially since this happened and the worst possible time financially. I was hoping it might be a ground, loose connection or something simple but that's never the case.:banghead:

If anyone has replaced the sending unit and could give me a recommendation on where to get one without paying a fortune for it would be greatly appreciated.

my fuel sender failed after 36,000mi. planned failure by MR.GM so its now 110,000mi. and its still jumping all over. i have read that some have cleaned the sender unit and this corrected the problem. but i have also read that new units after a period of time also fail. maybe by now they altered the pick material so that it is compatable with todays fuel ?

bsilverado00
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Of course I had the same problem, It even caused 2 codes p0452 and p0463, I bought the whole module on ebay for $160 from a dealer in Michigan, they even verified that it was the correct one for my truck.

R.A. Rukke
03-23-2008, 12:10 PM

If anyone has replaced the sending unit and could give me a recommendation on where to get one without paying a fortune for it would be greatly appreciated. The local news colum on automotive problems says that the additives in most gas will corode the sending unit and cause false readings. My 2500 6.0 does the same thing, when full it will drop off any where from empty to full until it uses some gas. I can correct mine by shifting to nuetral and back a few times. You might try that!

ModifiedMan
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
yes it is the sending unit, i have an 01 silverado...did the same thing...I replaced sending unit, haven't had a problem yet

j cAT
12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
this is an old posting..

02Steppy
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I also have an issue with my fuel gauge, I changed out my fuel filter & fuel pump but now my fuel gauge is on "E" and there is a warning light that says "Low Fuel" on but I know I have at least half a tank. Could I have did something wrong or could it be fuses or a relay? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Add your comment to this topic!