2006 Grand Caravan Blower Won't Work

freedomtech
02-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Our 'lovely' (not) 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan recently had the front blower quit working. We searched high and low on the internet and had much difficultly finding the answer since the vehicle is so new. This website was the most helpful with the post http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t340871.html and all it's pictures so I wanted to place our solution here with you guys.

One cold winter day i got out of the car and when i came back the selector switch simply didn't work.

Symptoms:
1. I had turned it off aggressively so wondered if it was the blower fuse.
2. However, there had been a strange humming noise (mentioned in other forums) that had gotten really loud that day and was no longer present.

freedomtech
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM
As a side note: I wholeheartedly agree that the Haynes manuals are no longer very helpful.

1. The switch did not work at all so we didn't think it was the Resistor (as mentioned in all found forums to work on certain settings.
2. In the engine compartment there are two Relays - one for the front and for the rear blower. The were the same so we switched those with one another (as the rear blower worked fine) and it still did not work.
3. We bought a new blower motor from Oreilly, hooked it up (didn't install it - just hooked up the harness) and it didn't work either. So we got our money back there. $80 approx.
4. Took the switch out of the dash (very easy - basically two snaps) and looked for signs of charring, etc to indicate that the switch itself was bad. By the way the dealer wanted $250 for that part.
5. None of this worked.

freedomtech
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
By this time I'd been driving around very pregnant and with my 3 year old in the middle of winter for a couple of weeks as we were swamped at work and with lifein general. The car would defrost after a while of driving due to the air simply being forced through the vents by the driving air pressure.

All the internet forums mentioned that if it was the resistor, then the switch would work on one setting but not others. What we didn't know was that in this 2006 Grand Caravan model the blower fuse and resistor are now one part. We found this was the problem by taking out the Resitor, bypassing it with an alligator clip and lo' and behold the blower came on.

One trip to the dealer, $14 and we had it installed in 3 minutes before we left the parking lot and that includes putting the maps and junk back in the glove box.

Word to the wise, though; true to dealership form, i had called one dealership to get the price but we ended up at another nearby dealership under the same ownership --- they jacked up the price another $5+tax (typical experience for me being a woman). They did honor the price after i mentioned the above. Of course, I also had to ask for a knife to open the box to see the part. The guy at least admitted he didn't show me the part since I was a woman. It certainly doesn't get you any respect in a car place being pregnant. Not that I'm rebuliding my '69 FJ40 and have worked on my own cars since my teen years (yes, dad's buy your daughters that lemon - they'll learn a lot!) I laugh about it but you really can't blame them, I'm the one that's an unusual girl! Good luck and I hope this helps you save some time in the cold!

freedomtech
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.mcclellandgroup.com/dgcBlowerFuse.jpg

freedomtech
02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I forgot to mention, the new part looks different than this one. The dealership admitted they are having trouble with the original design. Sorry, it's installed so no picture available.

Not to be mean, just factual....
* this 2006 already has an oil leak coming off the head gasket (don't know if an oil change place overfilled it or if it's a dodge problem

* we had rented a 2005 - same model - taken it on an 800 mile test drive and averaged 25 mpg. That is why we bought this minivan over the others (except new toyotas and hondas - as that wasn't in the budget)
This 2006 gets 11 - 18. Even on the exact same trip as we took the rental.
Took it in for service. Dealer said not a fixable problem and that the car is "performing as designed" even though this model advertises the higher gas mileage.

*with all this am very dissappointed and will never buy this brand again

RIP
02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Hey thanks. I learned something again. Yup, I was in that school "if it doesn't blow at all, it's not the resistor block". I'll have to add your caveat for a generation 4 van. I wasn't aware of the "internal fuse". I wonder if that applies to all generation 4 vans? I don't see it on generation 3 van schematics so I'll stick with it with them. I take it you can't change just the fuse. Thanks again for passing along the info.

11-18 mpg is too low, especially for an 06. The dealer is FOS. Unfortunately, as you know, there could be many causes. Any other symptoms? Is the tailpipe sooty? Does it accelerate ok? Smell gas with the hood open? Brake pads get thin quick? May have to ring it out on an analyzer.

Don't jump ship yet. Keep in mind, for whatever reason, most minivans are having problems regardless who makes them.

veedubmechanic
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
common oil leaks on 01-06 caravan/ town&country:
1- oil pan gasket
2-valve covers
3- lower intake manifold gasket
4- transmission solenoid pack gasket
5-lower transmission pan gasket

They all will start to leak noticeably arround 55k miles. Cheap cars are built with cheap parts.

mworrell5
01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Freedomtech

Thank you very much for posting this problem. I have been fighting this for a week and finally I found your post. I had just bought a new fan and was trying to find a way to replace the old one without removing the dashboard. I went online and came across your advice. It was the very same problem I was having so I gave it a try. Sure enough it worked. Thanks again.

mworrell5

Hanss
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I had the same problem with blower motor resistor on my Grand Caravan 2005. It didn't blow at all.

The Solutuion for this issue was pretty simple. Just change your TCO (thermal cutoff = thermal fuse). The original TCO has 240V/144C/10A. You can try to find it at any Radioshack Store in the States, but it is problem to find the same one in Canada. I did check all electronic component strores in my area and there is no way how to get the original one 240V/144C/10A.

However I found another solution for Canadian "Dodge Troublesh oters".:smile: You can use another TCO for 250V/141C/15A from NTE brand Part# NTE8139. Technical specs are here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/8000to8999/pdf/TCOs.pdf (http://www.nteinc.com/specs/8000to8999/pdf/TCOs.pdf))

As far as the amperage for NTE8139 TCO is 10A continuous and original one is 10A also the 15A on NTE8139 is a Max. peak amperage. So it is fine to use a TCO that is higher rated than the one in dodge application but not one that is less. As far as the temperature rating fot NTE8139 TCO is almost the same, because the TCO tolerance is +/- 4C you can use it.

You can easily find it for $1.68 CDN at any electronic component stores or Radio Source stores Canada wide. In Ottawa area you can find it at Reset Electronic store or Active components store (check yellowpages for contact details).

There is no sense to buy a new thermal resistor ($40.00 CDN) because you have no guaranry that it's gonna work for a long time.

srbaynes
07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
@freedomtech - THANKS! That fixed my issue that I had finally decided was going to have to be fixed by a mechanic! Saved me a ton, I'm sure!

davedodge1
06-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Same solution here. I had no power at any setting for the blower motor. Everyone (except on this forum) stated that no power at all would indicate a faulty blower motor--not the resistor. Hence I replaced the blower motor with no result. Almost giving up, I elected to replace the resistor (5minute job)and it worked! thanks for the help.

b1lk1
07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Did yourself a favor changing the motor as well. These things love to eat resistors with the older motor still in place.

seldomo19
08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan sxt.
Blower motor not working at all, seems like when windows cracked a bit, and going very fast cold air comes through. But I know it has to be something. We changed the relay "Nothing happened".
Months earlier we changed the resistor, but since it didn't work at the time we changed it we brought it back.
So we ONLY have a New Relay installed, what is the next step?

Do we get a new 40 amp, then the resistor......then if all else fails do the blower?
I ask cause my husband wants to just go out and buy the blower now.

What to do?

By the way his uncle will help us, as my husband has NO car experience at all, and we needed what is called an EXPLODED VIEW OF THE BLOWER MOTOR POSITION.

RIP
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Using a meter check for 12vdc at the blower motor connector with the switch on high. If it's there and the motor doesn't spin, change the motor. If you have a cabin air filter change it. A plugged filter is hard on the motor.

seldomo19
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan sxt.
Blower motor not working at all, seems like when windows cracked a bit, and going very fast cold air comes through. But I know it has to be something. We changed the relay "Nothing happened".
Months earlier we changed the resistor, but since it didn't work at the time we changed it we brought it back.
So we ONLY have a New Relay installed, what is the next step?

Do we get a new 40 amp, then the resistor......then if all else fails do the blower?
I ask cause my husband wants to just go out and buy the blower now.

What to do?

By the way his uncle will help us, as my husband has NO car experience at all, and we needed what is called an EXPLODED VIEW OF THE BLOWER MOTOR POSITION.

It is fixed. it was the blower, but we replaced the fuse, and resistor as well. tahnk you everyone on this page for your help.

StephanieR
11-09-2013, 02:26 PM
my front blower just stopped working this week too on my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. back was working but not the front. I do not have auto heat controls. Saw this thread and called up Napa for the part and replaced it very easily myself -- cost was $18.99 plus tax. The part # was BR266.

Just squeeze the sides of the glove box, carefully remove the the two screws -- unplus the two harnesses and pop them into the new one. voila!

Add your comment to this topic!