Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

high idleling problem

jeff983000gt
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
hi..i installed a bbk SSI intake manifold last weekend..with the 80 mm bbk throttle body..my car is ideling a little high right now..around 1300 rpms..the idle screw is pretty much all the way down..my check engine light is also on..it came up air idle control..any ideas what thats about..it was fine before the install..also ( and i was afraid of this ) in the instructions for installing the manifold it said be careful about braking the oil pressure sending unit..well i noticed today that my oil gauge in my guage cluster was off the charts all the way high..im assuming i broke it? it was fine last i saw it before the install, im assuming the pressure is fine but the gauge is just not working???..any ideas

wrightz28
02-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Are you sure you don't have any wires or anything tucked up under the manifold creating a vacuum leak? You may a big leak and the IAC code is a cause and effect ordeal as the IAC is maxed out trying to keep up with the leak. This is also very possible if you have the idle enrichement all the way in (ie more fuel to compensate the air seeping in).

As for the oil sending unit, if it's pegged, that normally means it's wiring is grounded, which brings me back to my first statement about a wire being tucked under the manifold? :sly:

jeff983000gt
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
ya now that you mention it..i think i can feel some what of a air leak from where the manifold should seal up..i think im gonna take the manifold back off..( gotta fix the oil pressure sender anyways:banghead: ) and really make sure it seals up real nice this time..maybe put some gasket sealer around it just to make sure..hopefully it will seal up nice and tight and the CEL will shut off and everything will be alright..and then we all lived happily ever after right! it never goes that smooth..well see though..thanks for the help

wrightz28
02-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I have always found on GM intakes, a little sillycone on the fron and rears of the mating surface is a good insurance policy.

jeff983000gt
02-17-2008, 10:47 AM
well i did the re-install..found out that the oil pressure sender was infact broken, so i replaced that, i ended up milling out the bottom of the manfold .030 to give it more clearance on the bottom cuz im pretty sure it was hitting the cooling line in the "valley"..reinstalled it and it sounds much better..although i cannot get the idle below 1000 still..i have the set screw as low as it can go.i understand more air higher idle??? maybe..idk

wrightz28
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Try resetting the PCM :dunno:

wrightz28
02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
You know, after seeing your new thread, I backed up to this one and re-read, you put a 80mm TB on it, I'm sure you have to do some 'tuning' to make that work out properly. :dunno:

jeff983000gt
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
well i actually have a tuner, i have the bbk 80mm tb on, with the JET mass air flow, k&n filter set up and the bbk SSI manifold..i actually got it all worked out i think..just like you said..had to tune it up..

Add your comment to this topic!