SilvrEclipse's Motor Build

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

SilvrEclipse
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I know there really is only a few things that need to be done soon. I need to shim the oil pump spring and see if that fixes my problem there. I am going to try a few more thing with that TB and if that doesn't work I may hit you up for that TB Dave.

david-b
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Cool just let me know. Actually I'll let the shipping go if you trade the old block for the TB :lol: great deal!

SilvrEclipse
06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
haha, yea i dont know about that. I dont even want to know how much it would cost to ship that thing.

david-b
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
haha, yea i dont know about that. I dont even want to know how much it would cost to ship that thing.

You can drive it up here. Not like it's far or anything.

SilvrEclipse
06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Ok guys I just added up the cost of the new motor. Everything totaled up to about $1725. This does included the blown motor I picked up earlier this year. Once I sell mine it will offset the cost about $250. So that will put everything to around $1500 which is pretty much expected.

MazdaX
06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Not a bad total. Think of how much you saved in pure labor cost as well so it's well worth it. You are working yours over a lot faster than I care to do mine lol.

SilvrEclipse
06-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Ok guys I worked on the car some today. Did a compression test and got 140-145 on all cylinders. It should be up around 180 so I dont know what the deal is. I cranked the boost up to 15psi and beat the shit out of the car and it didn't help any so the rings must be seated completely. Im starting to really think that my exhaust cam is 1 tooth advanced causing the lower compression. Im also getting high EGTs at idle which would explain this also. I think I may retarn the cam gear some to see if that helps and if it fixes the problem I will pull the motor apart to change it.

And 15psi felt awesome. The car seems to be pretty quick. Im running very rich, about 10.5 or so, so maybe I will pick up some more power when tuned. Also if the compression issue gets fixed that should up the power a good bit.

david-b
06-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey don't feel so bad on the AFR, remember, I was running 10.12 before I got tuned :lol:

Think of how much faster once the cam gets fixed and you lean it out some... full power right there.

SilvrEclipse
06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Ok guys just a little update. Car has 1150 miles on it and everything is good so far. I figured out that the intake cam was 1 tooth advanced. Fixed that and the car runs so much better now. Running about 14psi right now and its pig rich. Building megasquirt right now and should be installed in the next 2 weeks. Once the motor gets tuned boost will raise to about 18psi. Then Ill throw it on the dyno and see what kinda numbers it will put down.

Drove the car tonight and it will smoke the tires through 2nd gear. At full boost in 2nd it will break the tires loose at 4k and hold it till redline. Its fuckin awesome.

Thor06
06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Nice! Compression coming up?

Killa
06-27-2008, 01:40 AM
Drove the car tonight and it will smoke the tires through 2nd gear. At full boost in 2nd it will break the tires loose at 4k and hold it till redline. Its fuckin awesome.

I feel you, accept mine is rear wheel :smile:

SilvrEclipse
06-27-2008, 05:54 AM
I dont have a compression tester. I will have to go to my buddys house and use his. Im sure they will all come up to where they are suppose to be.

david-b
06-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Sounds awesome. It'll be even better when MS is in there. Don't feel bad about the cam being off, my exhaust cam is off by one. That's why adjustable cam gear are the shit. Fix your mistakes with ease. lol

So I didn't have a chance to get back to you yesterday, went and seen Wall-e at midnight... so was keeping myself busy all night.

david-b
08-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Predicted power by MegaSquirt - 258whp/249wtq

Booo... we want real numbers. When you dynoing?

SilvrEclipse
08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Booo... we want real numbers. When you dynoing?

Just got ignition control working today. Still trying to get the studderbox function working. I still need to do some more tuning and advance the timing some more. So in a few weeks maybe I will get it on a real dyno. Im more concerned with getting it to the track. Once I get the studderbox working and setup traction control I will hopefully be out to the track. Looking to push this car into the 12s once I upgrade the turbo. I would like to run mid 13s on the setup now so we will see.

JoeShmoe
08-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Just got ignition control working today. Still trying to get the studderbox function working. I still need to do some more tuning and advance the timing some more. So in a few weeks maybe I will get it on a real dyno. Im more concerned with getting it to the track. Once I get the studderbox working and setup traction control I will hopefully be out to the track. Looking to push this car into the 12s once I upgrade the turbo. I would like to run mid 13s on the setup now so we will see. Nice! Thats as much as an evo 9 at the wheels! But its just an assumption, lol. Cool jay, sounds like the engine is really working nice for you. When can we expecting video?

vanilla gorilla
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Isnt studderbox pointless on FWD?
Whenever I race, I leave basically on idle, give it just enough gas to keep it from choking off.

david-b
08-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Isnt studderbox pointless on FWD?
Whenever I race, I leave basically on idle, give it just enough gas to keep it from choking off.

No, you just don't set it as high as a AWD would. When launching FWD, it's still ideal to rev up to a certain rpm and gradually let off the clutch. I usually rev it to 3500 or so. The let off the clutch as soon as she fully grabs. Studderbox would let me keep it at 3500 without having to push pedal x% down. I would buy one.

SilvrEclipse
08-27-2008, 08:34 AM
The studderbox really isin't needed but since MS has the option I figured I would try it out and see if it improves my launches any. Im just going to set it around 2.5k or so and see if I can feather the clutch out without spinning to much. But with the studderbox going Ill be able to build some boost so hopefully the motor wont bog off the line.

Ill try to get a video up pretty soon. My camera takes shitty ones so Ill have to borrow one.

steviek
08-27-2008, 09:14 AM
will you be posting up the video here or in the video section>?

vanilla gorilla
08-27-2008, 01:26 PM
OK I get what y'all are saying.

How does the traction control feature work?

SilvrEclipse
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
will you be posting up the video here or in the video section>?

Ill put it up in the video section and put a link in this thread.

The traction control is going to work off rpms/sec. It can also work off the mph/sec but I didn't want to tap into my speed sensor. If the rpms raise 3k/sec then MS will start to richen the fuel and pull ignition timing to try and slow the motor down. This may not be the absolute best way but when you spin bad I have hit 4k/sec pretty easy so limiting the car at 3k/s may still be spinning the tires some but it wont be just burning them bad. Its just suppose to help reduce wheel spin, you cant just floor it in 1st and expect MS to control the wheel spin.

The only problem with this is that when in neutral if the rpms go over that limit it will try and slow the motor down. It doesn't know when your spinning or free reving so this is really only good if you plan on racing. I may be able to hook up a switch to cut it on and off when I need it.

MS really is an awesome ECU and is capable of so much its rediculous. Its a little hard and aggrivating at first but well worth it once the car is running good.

steviek
08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Yea I have a buddy running mega squirt and he likes it. Heard nothing but good things

SilvrEclipse
09-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Little update. Car is still running great. New tires are coming in today and should be installed today also. Got the studderbox working with the stock clutch switch. Launches seem to be more consistant but it will spin very easy off the line. Traction control does not seem to be working out to well. Like I said earlier it will kick in when free reving also which makes the car cut out some just taking off at a light easy. If I could get it work off the VSS then it would be better. Ill mess with it some more today to see if I can set it to only kick on above 4k or so.

Noticed this the other day when my buddy was behind me. When pulling any gear hard when you change to the next one a big flame will shoot out the exhaust. Some days it will do it and others it wont so not real sure whats going on there. Car is running good though so I guess there is no problem. Im just thinking its loading up on fuel when I let off.

Planning on going to the track this wednesday if I dont get rained out. Hoping to see 13s. Im pretty sure the car is capable but my driving Im not so sure about. Going to turn the boost up to 18psi or so and tune the ignition a little on the safe side so I know it wont knock. I will let yall know how it runs.

vanilla gorilla
09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Sweet dude, let us know how it runs. Gah, I wish I had the paper to build my 6 bolt.

SilvrEclipse
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Well sorry to dissapoint but the track is not going to happen. Going to fix the stripped exhaust stud and its going to get rained out. Plus the car seems to be running slow. May be from the exhaust leak not real sure. I will get some numbers for you guys soon.

JoeShmoe
09-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Ateaser vid at least Jay?

SilvrEclipse
09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
When I get the car fixed I will borrow a camera and get something for you guys. I was going to get one this weekend but the camera was dead.

SilvrEclipse
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Update: The 420a is no longer boosted. The compressor turbine has started hitting the housing so Im pulling off the intercooler pipes and just running a filter to the motor. The turbo must be way off balence with the exhaust wheel damaged.

I have been trying to get in touch in my friend about the 16g but no luck yet. Maybe I will here from him today or tomorrow. Hopefully the car will be boosting again in 2 weeks or so.

SilvrEclipse
09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Just got some great new guys. My dad is going to be picking up my turbo from the guy tomorrow and I am meeting him tomorrow night to get it along with the blitz bov he gave me.

Turbo is a small 16g that has been ported and clipped. Not sure how many miles are on it but I doubt to many. I think I remember seeing his car smoke a little out the exhaust around idle so I hope it wasn't the turbo leaking oil. Im getting it for 100$ with the bov so its to good of a deal to pass up. And Im in a bind with mine right now so I dont have much of a choice. Worst happens I have to rebuild it in which I will still have less money in it than any used one. Also this is a guy that works with my dad and is a pretty good friend of mine so he not trying to screw me and sell me a junk turbo.

Should have it installed on Monday. Going to crank the boost up to 20psi and tune it there.

O yea I will try and get some videos next week when Im tuning the car.

steviek
09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
20n psi on 440's?

SilvrEclipse
09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Yea.... Im still running the SFMU as my FPR. I haven't swapped out a 1:1 regulator yet for fuel pressure is rising about 3:1. I was at 90 IDC at 18psi with the 14b

david-b
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Turbo is a small 16g that has been ported and clipped. Not sure how many miles are on it but I doubt to many. I think I remember seeing his car smoke a little out the exhaust around idle so I hope it wasn't the turbo leaking oil. Im getting it for 100$ with the bov so its to good of a deal to pass up. And Im in a bind with mine right now so I dont have much of a choice. Worst happens I have to rebuild it in which I will still have less money in it than any used one. Also this is a guy that works with my dad and is a pretty good friend of mine so he not trying to screw me and sell me a junk turbo.

Is that a direct fit to your current setup? New DP needed or no? I can't picture how your current setup was looking so I don't remember.

SilvrEclipse
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Yea everything will fit perfectly. I think I may even use the same exhaust housing since mine already has the wastegate welded shut. If there is no damage done to it.

Edit - Looked over my logs and at 17psi I was only at 80% IDC. Boost was going down to around 15psi at redline. I may not have enough fuel for the 16g on 20psi but I will find out next week. Where ever I run out at is where I will stop.

steviek
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
yea man keep an eye on those idc's and your a/f ratio cause you are playing with fire on that 16'g. I was hitting fuel cut hard on my 550'ccs at like 24 on the e316g.

SilvrEclipse
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Yea I will. Like I said though I am running alot more fuel pressure than you did at any given boost level so I can squeeze more fuel out of the injectors. Im going to slowly turn up the boost to make sure Im not running out of fuel and hoping to have enough for 20psi. We will see. Im tuning to around 11.2 right now so trying to keep it a little rich. I will let you know how everything turns out.

SilvrEclipse
10-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok guys finally got the damn turbo fixed. Picked up a cheap blown 14b last night and got the wheel replaced this afternoon. Car pulls hard at 18psi and the new tires really hook. Car wont burn the tires in 2nd near as much as it use to. Need to finish tuning on monday and tuesday. Going to the track on wednesday so we will finally see what it runs. Founds some liquid on the front of the block. Looks like its leaking from the head gasket but not real sure yet. Ill just watch it and see what it does.

SilvrEclipse
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Headgasket completely soaked the front of the motor on Sunday. It would leak anytime you would boost the car over like 10psi. Pulled the valve cover on Monday, loosened all of the headstuds and retorqued everything to 85 ft/lbs. Headgasket seems to be holding ok now. Cant tell if its leaking some but its not near as bad as it was.

Track tmrw night so I did some tuning today. Car felt slow as piss on 16psi with the 16g. Timing was set at 10* and was rich as hell. Leaned the car out some and started adding some timing. Started to knock around 13* so the timing is around 12-13* under boost. Boost is set to 18psi with it tappering off to about 16 at 6.5k. I turned it up to 20psi and the injectors were at 96% IDC and I didn't want to run them that high. On the current tune I am peaking the injectors about 89% IDC so I have a little more fuel if I need it.

Car seems to pull pretty good and the new tires hook great. I was expecting a much bigger increase in power when switching to the 16g. I really dont know if the power increased at all. I guess I expected night and day difference but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways I will let you guys know what the car runs tmrw.

steviek
10-16-2008, 10:33 AM
i think i saw some pretty impressive numbers.

DSMadman
10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
not too shure on those injectors

Add your comment to this topic!