Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 2.2 crank sensor wire (s)

dpannazzo
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a 1995 cav with a 2.2 OHV engine that had a cracked block.

I swapped in a 1998 2.2 OHV engine and tranny I bought complete on craigslist. Installed a new PCM

The car has fuel being pumped to the engine and spark. Runs with starter fluid being sprayed into the TB.

When I checked the harmess on the fuel injectors with a test lamp and meter I got nothing. I looked at a diagram from my ALLDATA subscription and it showed a Yellow & Purple wire going to CKP sensor. When I got under the car and located the CKP sensor I only have a black wire on the connector. I know it's not the Knock sensor I'm looking at because I removed the sensor and it matchs perfectly the new sensor I picked up at the auto parts store. The only Yellow & Purple wire I see is on the Vehicle speed sensor.

Does anyone know if the CKP sensor does infact have a yellow & Purple wire or is the single black wire correct.

Thank You
dpannazzo@aol.com

jdl
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Did the 98 engine come with the wiring harness? Was the 95 SFI?

The wire in question, can you backtrack it? Does it go to the ignition module, It should? Is it a two terminal connector? If it is a two terminal connector, there should be two wires inside the insulation. Yes, my info shows the crank sensor wiring colors for the 98 are purple and yellow.

The 95 crank sensor is a hall switch, three wires, different colors.

dpannazzo
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your reply.

Both engines were SFI

The engine and tranny came complete. Bolted together, wring harness, everything on it minus the PCM.

The '95 engine does have 3 wires on it the way ALLDATA shows it.

The terminal is a two wire connector. It does not look like it was ever spliced into.

I will try backtracking it as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!