Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PLEASE HELP Battery wont keep a charge

Jlove_lynn
02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
I recently started experiencing some problem with my 95 LHS. My car just all of the sudden would not start it would make the clicking noise then after a million jumps I got it going so I took it to have the alternator tested the guy said it was bad so bought a new one and took it home and installed it in the car well it still would not start. We notice that the cables to the battery was really lose so we tighten those and the car started up so before I took the new alternator out I took my old one into advance auto parts and had it tested they said it was fine so took the new one out put the old back in. Drove it for a day and everything died so I take the battery in to have it tested they chrge it up and test it and say the battery is good putit back in the car it runs for a day and then dies agian. What is the problem anyone have any ideas? I fell like i'm running around in circles :runaround:

G.A.S.
02-11-2008, 08:22 AM
clean your connections good. see what that does.
loose connections will corrode quicker and more so on the inside of the terminal's. that would be for starters

MrSpeedyBob
05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Check for a current draw on the battery. Sometimes not everything in the car will turn off when it's supposed to, it could be anything from a glove box light to a computer, here's how to narrow it down.

Start the car and operate all the accessories, doors, windows, etc. Shut the car off and loosen, but do not disconnect one battery cable. Get a amp meter that will read in milliamps, clamp one lead to the cable that you loosened up and press the other lead against the battery terminal. Now carefully remove the cable from the battery so that the current now has to go through the meter. Be very careful that you do this in such a way that the vehicle never looses electrical power, even for a millisecond, if it does your test results will be meaningless. Now clamp the test lead that you have on the battery terminal in place so that you can walk off and leave it. Come back in about an hour and see what your meter reads, if it reads more then 50 milliamps then you have something staying on that shouldn't, and that's what is drawing your battery down. Now start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the amp reading drop, now you know what circuit the problem is in.

I hope that helps.

Add your comment to this topic!