Frost on inside of windows when cold outside

jallen8
02-10-2008, 09:58 AM
On my 2004 Impala, when it's cold outside (10F or less, the colder the worse) the inside of my car windows get frost-ice on them. It doesn't matter if it's sunny out or night time. This makes visibility poor, and the ice has be be scraped off (usually not possible if it's sub-zero, and also it comes back when driving) as the car defrost doesn't do much to clear it. My old 1993 Corsica would do pretty much the same thing. Any advise is appreciated.

j cAT
02-10-2008, 11:18 AM
On my 2004 Impala, when it's cold outside (10F or less, the colder the worse) the inside of my car windows get frost-ice on them. It doesn't matter if it's sunny out or night time. This makes visibility poor, and the ice has be be scraped off (usually not possible if it's sub-zero, and also it comes back when driving) as the car defrost doesn't do much to clear it. My old 1993 Corsica would do pretty much the same thing. Any advise is appreciated.

is this heater in max with defrost mode? this is how to keep frost from forming as your breathing will condensate on windshield. too much heavy breathing going on....also if the temp of air is not hot you will need coolant serviced and thermostat replaced. it is possible and very common from improper mixing of coolants . this first plugs up heater core then radiator then engine.......when very cold start engine and get out of car and give it 10min to warm then when you start breathing inside car the heater will keep all that moist air from breathing away from windshied...

G.A.S.
02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
a problem I have run into with this situation is draging snow into the floor boards/carpet or the windows are leaking and water is getting the carpet wet and then the warm air evaporating it and causing this to happen.
just a thought.

j cAT
02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
a problem I have run into with this situation is draging snow into the floor boards/carpet or the windows are leaking and water is getting the carpet wet and then the warm air evaporating it and causing this to happen.
just a thought.

don't have cover off hot coffee while driving..........

'97ventureowner
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
too much heavy breathing going on....
Best post I've read in awhile :lol: :lol: :lol:

jallen8
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
No hot beverages, no heavy breathing, no water leak - but thanks for those ideas thus far. The worst of the problem is the side windows, as the defrost/heat on full-blast doesn't thaw them, except only right by the side mirrors. Some snow does get tracked in (I live in Minnesota), but I see many other cars in my daytime work parking lot whose windows after work aren't covered with ice on the insides like my Impala. I can basically take my car out of my garage (not a heated garage, but attached to house) to the street on a below zero night and the clear windows will frost up on the insides while watching them. It makes the car's blind spots much larger / more dangerous.

j cAT
02-11-2008, 09:41 PM
No hot beverages, no heavy breathing, no water leak - but thanks for those ideas thus far. The worst of the problem is the side windows, as the defrost/heat on full-blast doesn't thaw them, except only right by the side mirrors. Some snow does get tracked in (I live in Minnesota), but I see many other cars in my daytime work parking lot whose windows after work aren't covered with ice on the insides like my Impala. I can basically take my car out of my garage (not a heated garage, but attached to house) to the street on a below zero night and the clear windows will frost up on the insides while watching them. It makes the car's blind spots much larger / more dangerous.

ok so now we have a very good idea how this vehicle is operating.... but what is the temperature of air coming out of heater/def vent ? i'm thinking at 10deg.outside temp. f , 110deg f heater/def air temp. now if you don't have engine temp guage block radiator and see if this problem eases..........use card board to block radiator cooling air.... also make sure fans aren't coming on ....the only other explaination would be a water leak..... water from windshield or rear window is leaking into the car as the car sits in the sun this moisture then condensates on the interior of the glass.....check trunk for dampness....lift rug material look for frost dampness...

rdp1
02-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I am the owner of a 2000 Deville and am having the exact same symptoms with my car. I took it to a dealer and had the heater core checked and it checked out OK. There is no visible sign of moisture in the car or place where moisture could get in. I am stumped. I have to keep the windshield defrost blowing on high to keep the windsheild clear but all of the side windows are completed frosted over after about 10 minutes of driving. The car sits in a heated garage and starts out fine but within a few minutes begins to frost up. I'll keep watching this post in hopes to get some ideas. Thanks for posting.

j cAT
02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I am the owner of a 2000 Deville and am having the exact same symptoms with my car. I took it to a dealer and had the heater core checked and it checked out OK. There is no visible sign of moisture in the car or place where moisture could get in. I am stumped. I have to keep the windshield defrost blowing on high to keep the windsheild clear but all of the side windows are completed frosted over after about 10 minutes of driving. The car sits in a heated garage and starts out fine but within a few minutes begins to frost up. I'll keep watching this post in hopes to get some ideas. Thanks for posting.

another possibility is the doors drain holes plugged. if water is trapped inside door this would cause this problem.....

impalalover
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
No hot beverages, no heavy breathing, no water leak - but thanks for those ideas thus far. The worst of the problem is the side windows, as the defrost/heat on full-blast doesn't thaw them, except only right by the side mirrors. Some snow does get tracked in (I live in Minnesota), but I see many other cars in my daytime work parking lot whose windows after work aren't covered with ice on the insides like my Impala. I can basically take my car out of my garage (not a heated garage, but attached to house) to the street on a below zero night and the clear windows will frost up on the insides while watching them. It makes the car's blind spots much larger / more dangerous.Which button is your heater set to,are you using the recirculate button to the right,if so this will cause her to do this,recirculate is only good when you are driving in warm,hot conditions,if you are using recirculate then start using the normal button to the left

inafogg
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
there is something wrong here!!! if it were me & ran out of ideas. i'd stop by the local dealer.hopefully the car is all iced up ask them to go for a ride.
ASK THEM TO DRIVE!!! good luck

jallen8
02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I set the heater/defost all the way hot/red, with fresh air intake (not recirculated), but that doesn't thaw the side windows.

I have not heard of "door drain holes", I will have to take a look for them (but I doubt that's an issue here).

I could take it to the dealer, but it would have to work out that I'm able to do that on the same day that it's very cold out.

I think it's tracked-in melted snow turning into humidity, but not sure "how to get it out of the car"???

brcidd
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I think your recirc door may be stuck in recirc- even though it is commanded back to outside air- I know for a fact that recirc does exactly as you describe- will fog up the windows to the point you have to pull over-I then look at the recirc door- and it is stuck in recirc. test this theory by listening to the air flow- it should change dramatically as you go from outside air to recirc and vice versa- if no changes are detected- the door is not moving and is stuck in recirc- or inside air mode.....been there--- seen that

'97ventureowner
02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Which button is your heater set to,are you using the recirculate button to the right,if so this will cause her to do this,recirculate is only good when you are driving in warm,hot conditions,if you are using recirculate then start using the normal button to the left
The issue might also have to do with the A/C system itself. In the winter when you use DEF or DEF/Floor your A/C is used to help dehumidify the air. In the winter, as temperature goes down, refrigerant pressure lowers too low and the low pressure cut-out switch inhibits compressor operation, and the system is unable to dehumidify the air .
My first thoughts when I read the original post was there is moisture infiltrating the interior of the vehicle somewheres. In the past I've seen situations where there was a pin hole leak in the heater core, a bad gasket/seal around a door or window, as stated before the importation of snow/ice from our boots. But you say that this isn't the first vehicle you have had this issue with which makes it even harder to diagnose.

dmorlow
02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm having the same problem. Wierd part of my problem is it only happens on the drivers side. I'm not sure if that means anything like the driver's door is leaking or the windshield is leaking on the driver's side. I swore I heard excess wind noise when I was driving home yesterday coming from the driver's side dashboard. It's the winter here right now, and it's a pretty bad winter at that. I took my car to the car wash and got it washed good, then opened and closed all the windows and sunroof to make sure they were sealed and closed good.

I went to the dealer and they said all they could do is run a waterhose over the car and look for any visible leaks. I have a feeling that a hole barely bigger than a pinhole in the dash around the window could cause this, and when they spray this water and a half a drop of water drips inside the dash, how are they ever going to see it?

Last summer too, I took my car to the shop for another reason. My car fogged up in the windows right up the driver side window and the tech looking at my car commented that it looked wierd the way my window fogged up. I have a feeling this plays into the problem I'm having.

I'm hoping there's a trick of the trade to find an air leak in a car.

M Nelson
02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
When in "defrost" mode, the A/C compressor should engage. Check to see if you hear the cluth engage. Check the refrigerant pressure,too. If the compressor is on,and refrigerant pressure is within limits, it is a problem with the doors that open and close in the duct/vent system. The A/C system is designed to de-humidify, and should work with even most humid of conditions.

dmorlow
02-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Right, but this is after I come out after my car has sit for hours or all night. So the air conditioning would have nothing to do with it. The AC would matter if it was condensating or freezing while I was driving the car.

When in "defrost" mode, the A/C compressor should engage. Check to see if you hear the cluth engage. Check the refrigerant pressure,too. If the compressor is on,and refrigerant pressure is within limits, it is a problem with the doors that open and close in the duct/vent system. The A/C system is designed to de-humidify, and should work with even most humid of conditions.

j cAT
02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Right, but this is after I come out after my car has sit for hours or all night. So the air conditioning would have nothing to do with it. The AC would matter if it was condensating or freezing while I was driving the car.

the ac compressor will not work when the temps are below 40deg... if vehicle is first started after over night cool down.....this is a saftey issue the protects the ac compressor from damage as this is only to compress gases not liquid refrigerant! after vehicle is at operating temp if engine compartment warms like in traffic it is possible for ac compressor to cycle on at or below this temp but it will usually shut down ......if your ac compressor will run below these temps continuously then you may have too much refrigerant in the system........or the low pressure switch is defective......

jallen8
02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
>I then look at the recirc door- and it is stuck in recirc.

How do you look at the recirculate/outside air flap/door?

j cAT
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
>I then look at the recirc door- and it is stuck in recirc.

How do you look at the recirculate/outside air flap/door?

when you change from recirculate to fresh air you will hear a change in the air fan sound and with your hand at air vent feel a change in temp and flow..... if this does nothing then it may be stuck it is possible... but why does your windows fog up in the parking lot after a day at work????

Add your comment to this topic!