1990 300zx clutch problem

Irish-z
02-09-2008, 09:36 AM
:banghead:
Hi guys im new here and i first would like tho thank you for this site and all the help you have shared. I have been reading up on this from past posts of other people and i am some what informed on the subject now but i still am not sure that the posts ive read are the answers i am looking for.
last winter i let my girlfriend borrow my car, (she hit a deer in her car and it was being fixed in a shop.) My car has a MT. the problem started last year when she caled to tell me that she couldnt start the car. When i came to see i saw that the clutch was against the floor board in the back. i had it towed to a shop who replaced the master cyl. the car was fine untill this winter. a few months ago to be exact. the same problem occured. I again brought it to the same shop who replaced the master cyl again, as well as the slave cyl. they said i had a leak. Upon retriveing my car i began to drive it and soon found that it was really really hard to put it in gear. I took it back and they looked at it and replaced the master cly. and the slave cly again but with no luck of fixing the problem. the problem the mechanic described was that the slave cyl. wouldnt push the fork back enough to put it in gear easily. he said he bleed the system for hours with no luck. he also told me that in order for it to work i had to pump the clutch pedal a few times for it to go into gear. so here i am pumping and it works sometimes. its hard to get into gear. The car does run and is drivable, but like i said its hard to go into gear. I read in a past post that there is a ball that the fork pivots on that may break after 100k miles. is this my problem? do i need to rplace the Withdrawal Lever Pin? and if so can you tell me how to go about replacing it? i have a new master and slave cyl. and it seems that the slave cyl. wont push the fork back enough to work properly. i have to build up pressure first by pumping it to shift and put it in gear. I miss the days when i would be on a winding road downshifting before the apex and just taking the curve like the car should. I cant downshift anymore because of this. the car is a 90' 5spd N/a z. It has 130k miles on it. its a beauitful car and i need my baby fixed please help!
-sean

Broke_as_****
02-10-2008, 04:57 AM
That ball they refer to is under the shifter fork inside the transmission:

http://www.z32photoguide.com/tranny.html

If the head breaks off then the fork has a much shorter pivot to leverage against and won't be able to push the throwout bearing forward enough. This requires a transmission pull to replace. However since you said you have to pump the pedal the next question is: does your mechanic know that there are two bleed points on the Z? One is on the slave but the second is in the engine bay on the passenger side by the firewall:

http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list=cl&dir=&config=&refresh=&direction=forward&scale=0&cycle=off&slide=8&design=default&total=18

Irish-z
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
ok so you think that the problem is because of the second bleeder point not being bled? i dont think my mechanic would have noticed it. I know that the z is a very sophisticated vehical and in being that and unlike a chevy or a ford i seriously doubt that he saw it or even knew about it. Ive contacted my friend and he is coming over to see if we can get this car in working condition again. now would i need to bleed the other point again too? or no? well i thank you for your help and i will let you know if that is the prob.
now alls i need to do after fixing this is get my timing belt replced and put on the headers i bought. replace the bumper and fix a dent on the side were the car was put into a guard rail before i bought it. car ran beautiful before this problem. Its just a N/a ok? yeah well it would beats 5.0s like nothin little ricers phh didnt even stand a chance, i dont have anything really done to it besides a K&N cold air intake and a short throw shifter. And the car is pretty fast i havent taken it to the track but i plan on it this summer. See I live in jackson ohio and we have a crap load of mustangs and cameros. lol
rednecks. now to a true z fan like myself, haveing the only z within 45 mins drive all around me, - that i know of - its quite pleaseing to be a little different, putting out more power than other v6s and enough to beat some SOME mustangs, people look at you differently. they see the true originality of the car the true beauty. its sound its looks its feel are all so different from other cars. I go to columbus sometimes and there are traffic jams alot, well i can just glance for a second and be able to tell if a z is sittin up there just wainting to get out on the open road. yeah i know im ranting and that my be weird for a "New Guy" but i love my car damnit and i just wanted all of you to know that. How much the Z family means to me. and how much we should all apriciated and love out cars. We are originals we are untouchables we are the Z's....

sorry if tht was a little tacky i just get excited when talking about z's... Girlfriend doesnt share the same excitement. she has a lancer Ex. Auto.--- slow.

Broke_as_****
02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
It's a very easy thing to miss unless you know Z32s. If the slave cylinder was bled as much as he said it was then it shouldn't require much attention. The standard method is to bleed one then the other, but given that you can get pressure with a few pumps, it shouldn't take much bleeding at either one. A few pumps and bleeds at the engine bay point will probably bring the pressure right up. At that point start alternating between them and the pedal should have a nice, firm, constant pressure to it. Good luck.

Oh yeah and FYI, everyone on this forum has made an over the top gushing "This car is so freaking awesome" post at some point. ;)

Irish-z
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Ok im really sorry i havent got back to you. I think that was kinda rude of me. gotta lotta snow here in ohio and well i spent alot of time shoveling.

...But i would like to thank you, so very much for helping me with this and i just want to say it worked. so i will make this short and sweet. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you, thank you thank you and thank you. it was pretty dirty in the other one. i had so much air come out along with probably a full cup or more of dirty nasty stuff. we kept bleeding her untill it was clear. it goes into gear so well now its so great. I had a synconizer problem in 3rd and 4th and it seems to have helped that alot. it only grinds at high speed.

ok my next problem with the car is my lack of heater while back every thing got fried when a friend crossed the terminals on the batterey which caused a rare thing to happen my alt reverversed polarity. car seemed fine for a few days started dying broke down one day and started smoking fried everything electrical in the car if not the fuses first, had it towed to Nourse Nissan, they held it for 3 months and charged me $1700 to just replace the computer batter alt and starter, my other stuff, Ie: lights windows cd player heater wipers locks clock guages didnt work. got home and replace some fuses that nissan didnt care to look at, replace the bulbs in things window amp thing, some little thing i got off ebay for 40 bucks, and i could never fix my heater i dunno whats wrong with it?? any ideas? thanks again
-sean

Broke_as_****
02-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Ok im really sorry i havent got back to you. I think that was kinda rude of me. gotta lotta snow here in ohio and well i spent alot of time shoveling.

meh, I go absent from this board for months at a time.

ok my next problem with the car is my lack of heater while back every thing got fried when a friend crossed the terminals on the batterey which caused a rare thing to happen my alt reverversed polarity. car seemed fine for a few days started dying broke down one day and started smoking fried everything electrical in the car if not the fuses first, had it towed to Nourse Nissan, they held it for 3 months and charged me $1700 to just replace the computer batter alt and starter, my other stuff, Ie: lights windows cd player heater wipers locks clock guages didnt work. got home and replace some fuses that nissan didnt care to look at, replace the bulbs in things window amp thing, some little thing i got off ebay for 40 bucks, and i could never fix my heater i dunno whats wrong with it?? any ideas? thanks again
-sean

With everything electrical in the car burnt it's very difficult to even start tracing down a problem. But I would start with the heater controls in the guage pod, the blowers and all other related wiring in between.

Irish-z
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
thanks i will look into it and get back to you.

Hodo
02-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Yea broke is DEAD on on this one.
I speak from experiance working at a nissan dealership... the first clutch I did on a 1991 300ZX about killed me.... I did the whole job in about 3 hours, (slow but it was my first) but I lost my butt off when the little clutch fork ball broke and I thought I hadnt bleed the clutch propperly.... Took me 4 hours to figure that out and the help of a much more experianced tech to save my arse. (btw thanks George if he even reads the boards)

This is ANOTHER reason why I drive a automatic. :P

Add your comment to this topic!