Looking at buying a 97 Kia Sportage

Rpg0
02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Its a 97 Sportage with just under 100k on it, 4 door 2wd/auto. Good condition inside and out, Recent brakes / Tires. Only problem with it is the timing belt is broke. I figure it's worth around $1000 as is.

Anything else I should be looking out for on it ? Gonna go take a close look at it in the morning.

LMP
02-09-2008, 08:15 AM
With belt kit on e-bay under 100$ and you do the job, ..and no hubs to be replaced, then at $1000 this is a low risk affair. If what can be seen is up to expectations, I'd go for it....and Texas roads do not have salt contamination like here...and on the dry surface roads, 2WD is enough... Here in Quebec winter snowfalls, 4WD is almost a must with this lightly loaded rear axle.

Rpg0
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Well the vehicle looked great outside, good tires w/aftermarket rims. Inside was in great shape as well, power windows/locks. Motor however had been opened up exposing the timing belt which wasn't broke and someone had pulled all 4 plugs. With it sitting for a year, it was locked up tight. Could not get it to move with 24" breaker bar. If I had more time I might have went for it. Too close to fishing season for another big project like this.

Here is the Ad on Craigslist (http://beaumont.craigslist.org/car/556272701.html) if anyone is interested. She most probably will take way less just to get it gone. She needs a truck ASAP.

Add your comment to this topic!