Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tensioner Pulley help.....

LTZ9C1
02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but how do I replace my tensioner pulley on my 2000 S-10, V-6?

It's been making a rattling noise for the past month or so and when I rev the motor up, it quiets down. When it idles, it's noisey so I think it's the culprit but I just don't know how to replace it. All I see is one bolt in the middle of it and that's it.

I hope this isn't so simple that I'll feel like my dog's ass for asking such a dumb question :grinno:

Thanks for whoever can help me.

MT-2500
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but how do I replace my tensioner pulley on my 2000 S-10, V-6?

It's been making a rattling noise for the past month or so and when I rev the motor up, it quiets down. When it idles, it's noisey so I think it's the culprit but I just don't know how to replace it. All I see is one bolt in the middle of it and that's it.

I hope this isn't so simple that I'll feel like my dog's ass for asking such a dumb question :grinno:

Thanks for whoever can help me.

The way to find out is to ask.
People that do not ask do not learn much.
The one bolt should do it.
Usually a centering notch on back side to center it.
Get a new and have it ready before removing old one.
And check the bolt on new on to see if right or left hand thread.

MT

LTZ9C1
02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
The way to find out is to ask.
People that do not ask do not learn much.
The one bolt should do it.
Usually a centering notch on back side to center it.
Get a new and have it ready before removing old one.
And check the bolt on new on to see if right or left hand thread.

MT

Thank you MT for the help, and it is simple to change......who'd a thought?

Thanks again:smokin:

MT-2500
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM
You are welcome and good luck.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

LTZ9C1
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
You are welcome and good luck.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

It's been bad weather here lately and today its a balmy 20 degrees so I'm going to see if I can replace it today.

BTW, I forgot to ask, what's the torque spec for the bolt or it's not necessary and just tighten until I can't tighten no more?

Thanks again:biggrin:

MT-2500
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
It's been bad weather here lately and today its a balmy 20 degrees so I'm going to see if I can replace it today.

BTW, I forgot to ask, what's the torque spec for the bolt or it's not necessary and just tighten until I can't tighten no more?

Thanks again:biggrin:

Go easy on it.
Not over 35 -37 ft lbs.

Check the new tensioner for bolt specs should come with the instruction sheet.
MT

LTZ9C1
02-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Go easy on it.
Not over 35 -37 ft lbs.

Check the new tensioner for bolt specs should come with the instruction sheet.
MT

Thank you much MT. I just installed and so far so good.....crossing fingers no jinx :biggrin:

The original bolt was barely screwed on, like I unscrewed it with my fingers, strange huh? I used the bolt that came with the new belt tensioner and that was that.

One last question, I know this is off topic but, is my PCV valve supposed to be making a loud buzzing noise while the engine runs? I just never paid attention so I don't know.

Thanks again MT, I appreciated the help greatly:smile:

MT-2500
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
You are welcome and thanks for letting us know how it went.
The PCV valve should be quiet.
I would get a new Ac-delco brand pcv valve for it.
Good Luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!