Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Penske' Sunoco 512M

gionc
02-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Hi gentlemen. Anyone know something about the Penske 512M BLUE, the famous Sunoco 512? I'm searching a code to send to Hiroboy to mix, also if a good deal would be a gloss laquer like the TS, without clearcoat.

Also: anyone know how kind of mods/elaboration has got this car? I remember few Forghieri's words I read somewhere: he said that those 512M was the best elaboration he seen starting from a Ferrari. I got few refs. but I guess the car is restored.

And last one: how about the rims: they was really yellow like per picts?

Ok last last one: since the model was OOP Mr. Hiro trought Roberto (and starting from an idea of SuperAlexK) sent me the decal sheet, but my car is the red '71 LM 512M: anyone know differences between Hiro's models? Just the decals sheet?

Thanks a lot in advance.
gio

gionc
02-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Opps, forgot some picts:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/512Msunoco/4i3xisy.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/512Msunoco/152-7a.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/512Msunoco/152-4.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/512Msunoco/img_7764019.jpg

godfather23
02-08-2008, 06:09 AM
And last one: how about the rims: they was really yellow like per picts?

Hey Gio, the rims seem to depend on the race the car was in. F.Ex. the No. 6 (Donohue) Sunoco Ferrari in the 1971 Watkins Glen Six hours didn´t have full jellow wheels, as the oter rims where chrome and only the spokes were painted yellow (same in Daytona 1971).

It also seems that the color of the wings varies through the races (yellow in Daytona ´71, silver in Le Mans ´71 [for the No. 11 car], blue in Watkins Glen ´71). The same thing applies to the color of the rear view mirror.

Can you scan the decals? I might see ome differences then.

Good luck with your research, Robert.

gionc
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Thabks Robert: this is the decals guidehttp://www.1999.co.jp/dbimages/user/hobby/itbig/10033481t2.jpg

and following a scan: I got ome reflections...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/512Msunoco/zunok.jpg

gionc
02-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Mmmm main differences seems be in the wing (1 wide one in the Sunoco) and in the fron fenders vents, I see no much other from the instructions... I must to research more about the real car..

lemansnut
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Another big difference between the Penske 512M and the factory cars is the chassis tub. The sides of the Penske car are square where the factory cars are rounded at the bottom.

Mike

jaykay640
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Gio

As far as i remember the changes on the car were mostly below the skin. The engine was reworked the suspensions and everything else. Mostly stuff that you wouldn't really see on a curbside model.
If you're interested in this i absolutely recommend you get Mark Donohue's book "The unfair advantage" where he describes what he did with all the cars he raced in detail. Just a few pictures but sooo interesting to read. I already read it twice....:-)

ScaleCentral
02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
The main external differences involve several aspects. This first is that the body was made off a 512M from Ferrari with modifications. There are minor differences in the width in certain areas. The rear is wider around the rear wheels. The spoilers were different than the normal. Most of the team cars had two small spoilers. Penske used a long spoiler the width of the rear. It depends on the race as to the overall shape and depth of the wing. The intake was also ran as a scoop twice and just a mesh cover twice. You'll also notice that on the side there is a fuel air vent. The main fuel inlet is also different. There is also an addition of an air inlet for the air jacks. MRRN did a great article on the 512M showing all of the variaties. If you need a copy, I can probably scan it early next week. As for the wheels, they were always yellow in the center and aluminum on the outside.
Nic

gionc
02-09-2008, 01:25 AM
The main external differences involve several aspects. This first is that the body was made off a 512M from Ferrari with modifications. There are minor differences in the width in certain areas. The rear is wider around the rear wheels. The spoilers were different than the normal. Most of the team cars had two small spoilers. Penske used a long spoiler the width of the rear. It depends on the race as to the overall shape and depth of the wing. The intake was also ran as a scoop twice and just a mesh cover twice. You'll also notice that on the side there is a fuel air vent. The main fuel inlet is also different. There is also an addition of an air inlet for the air jacks. MRRN did a great article on the 512M showing all of the variaties. If you need a copy, I can probably scan it early next week. As for the wheels, they were always yellow in the center and aluminum on the outside.
Nic
Nic: yes, please, no hurry but if you'll san the article I'll be very happy ;)

Thanks guys, Jay: I'll try to find this book around ;), the kit isn't the great Fisher kerbside, it's the full detail's MFH, I'll like to discover some of the engine/sunspension's changes.

ScaleCentral
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Nic: yes, please, no hurry but if you'll san the article I'll be very happy ;)

Thanks guys, Jay: I'll try to find this book around ;), the kit isn't the great Fisher kerbside, it's the full detail's MFH, I'll like to discover some of the engine/sunspension's changes.

I'll probably get it on Friday for you. I'll also see if I can copy that chapter out of my book without causing damage. I love that book. I've actually got to re-read it soon. BTW, the Fisher kit is accurate, but I sold mine in favor of the MFH kit. I have about ever decal set made for this car from the Cady to the MFH and it seems Fisher's is by far the best. I'll have to see if I can compare the MFH bits with the real thing on Friday too.
Nic

gionc
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll probably get it on Friday for you. I'll also see if I can copy that chapter out of my book without causing damage. I love that book. I've actually got to re-read it soon. BTW, the Fisher kit is accurate, but I sold mine in favor of the MFH kit. I have about ever decal set made for this car from the Cady to the MFH and it seems Fisher's is by far the best. I'll have to see if I can compare the MFH bits with the real thing on Friday too.
Nic

Thanks a lot Nic. I'll aprreciate a lot an hopefully I'll back the favour before or later. I sold my Fisher's stuff too when I start to buy my MFH collection and if I remember right Paul's decals was printed here by Cartograf.

I done a comparo time ago between Heller/Protar 512S, Fisher's 512S and tree MFH: 512S, long tail and M. : never published (not yet LOL)

ferraripaul
02-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Ciao Gio,

I love your builds and prepare myself to attack the 512M myself. Unfortunately, I'm not master of my time at the moment - so the 512 has to wait.

But I was collecting pictures of the real and some model cars: http://guidomoritz.gu.funpic.de/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=32

I will base my model on the Monteleone plastic model in 1/18. Wait and see ...

Paul

Add your comment to this topic!