Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Altima high idle

shab_xp
02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi guys,

The idle speed of my 96 Altima GXE is approximately 900 RPM, even after I adjust the screw all the way.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

methodmix
02-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Are you testing your idle under warm or cold engine operating temps, because you will have about a 300-400 higher PRM at cold engine temps. I'm not sure why you are adjusting your idle screw, but 900 RPM sounds pretty normal under a moderately warm operating temperature. I have a scangauge hooked up to my 2000 Nissan Altima, and I'll reply back to tell you what my RPMs are at my warmest operating temperature (~180 Degrees F) at idle speed in neutral. Check to make sure you are adjusting the screw in the proper direction, because you might actually be turning it to increase your idle speed.

Hi guys,

The idle speed of my 96 Altima GXE is approximately 900 RPM, even after I adjust the screw all the way.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

shab_xp
02-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Methodmix,

Thank you for the reply. The 900 RPM I mentioned is under warm operating condition.

The idle on the hood of my car says 700 RPM. I think I'm pretty sure that I was right at the direction of the screw. Clockwise for lower idle and ccw for higher idle.

Anyway, it's good to know that it will be normal to have an idle of 900 RPM.

Have a nice evening.

Are you testing your idle under warm or cold engine operating temps, because you will have about a 300-400 higher PRM at cold engine temps. I'm not sure why you are adjusting your idle screw, but 900 RPM sounds pretty normal under a moderately warm operating temperature. I have a scangauge hooked up to my 2000 Nissan Altima, and I'll reply back to tell you what my RPMs are at my warmest operating temperature (~180 Degrees F) at idle speed in neutral. Check to make sure you are adjusting the screw in the proper direction, because you might actually be turning it to increase your idle speed.

methodmix
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Well it turns out I was wrong. 900 RPM is a bit too high for ideal engine operating temperature. At about ~180 Deg F, my scangauge reads 725-737 RPMs when idling in neutral. Either something is wrong with your idle or you are not waiting until your engine/coolant temperature maxes out. What is the outside/ambient air temperature while you are running your engine? I've read that really cold air temps (because of the increased density of oxygen) causes the MAF to send higher voltage to your ECM, which adjusts your air/fuel mixture accordingly, resulting in a more rich air/fuel mixture. Running a rich mixture could result in a higher than normal idle. That's about all I have to offer. FYI, my measurements were taken with an outside temperature of about 63 Deg F. Hope this helps!

Hi Methodmix,

Thank you for the reply. The 900 RPM I mentioned is under warm operating condition.

The idle on the hood of my car says 700 RPM. I think I'm pretty sure that I was right at the direction of the screw. Clockwise for lower idle and ccw for higher idle.

Anyway, it's good to know that it will be normal to have an idle of 900 RPM.

Have a nice evening.

Add your comment to this topic!