Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 Electra Transmission Cooler (upper line) leak

frisnosity
02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
On my 87 electra i found a leak in the line that connect my transmission to the cooler in the radiator. I finally found the part after a days search, but the car won't shift out of first to get to the store. I added a about a gallon of fluid to where trans dip stick is (is that right). But the car still doesn't shift out of first. This moring everything worked fine, then i took to line off to inspect it and maybe patch it with RTV or tape just to get to the store and my bosses shop. The line still leaks My question is, can that leak cause a large enough vaccum leak to make the tranny not shift? And how much fluid should go in the tranny? Any help is much appreciated, thank u

wrightz28
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
The trans cooler lines on these are habitual leakers. Juat make sure you don't overfill the trans :yikes:

My '87 was abused hard when I picked it up, and the trans was hurt pretty bad. In the years(6?) I had it I had to service the trans twice and rebuild it once. Even after the rebuild on cold mornings (below 20*) the trans was hesitant to engage until everything warmed up a bit.

frisnosity
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I got the upper line on, now i hear air sucking in the bottom one, i have that part coming in a little while. The car still wont shift from first and the dipstick is a c hair below full. That pump in the tranny pump in the pan prob cant catch prime right? Second thing does anyone know about lower ball joints? The axel has to come out right? Thanks for the post Z28

wrightz28
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
No problem.

Check the vacuum line from the modualtor for fluid/breakage (cracked). If you stand at the left front (driver's side), and stare straight down where the engine and transaxle mate you'll see it down there aways. The line is exposed to a bit of heat and road gunk, worth a try. It runs up the "front" of the motor to a vacuum manifold attached to the throttle body.

As for the ball joints, a service manual ,may call for removal of the shaft, I never had any problems with ball joints on that particular car, but I imagine with the correct firm supporting of the axle, it doesn't neccessarily have to come out. :2cents:

frisnosity
02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I got both of the new lines in (GM doesn't even make them anymore) and the car shifts now!!!!! That vaccum peice might need to be changed soon though. Thanks for the moral support! yeah i got to buy a good manual for it.

wrightz28
02-07-2008, 03:30 PM
cool beans :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!