Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'03 using oil

jlwarnimont
02-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Hello all, I am new here. I have a 2003 Trailblazer EXT (which I have only had for 3 months) it is using oil. My mechanic thiought it would be the P.C.V. valve and would be an easy fix. He went to change it and it has already been changed. Any ideas what it could be? I have a really bad feeling about this. Thanks in advance!!

BRD
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
How many miles? Do you see any oil residue around the sides of the engine? How about the drain plug and oil pan? Is it smoking? I'm thinking leak more than burn, but you could also feel around in the tailpipe with your fingers. If it's burning oil you'll see the soot.

SLJ2137694
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
How much oil is it using, as in quarts per thousand miles. I assume no visable external oil leaks.

jlwarnimont
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
No visible leaks! It is using about 1 quart every 1500 miles.

jlwarnimont
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey all, I just came back from the dealer. In regret of even buying it. The mechanic there says it is normal for this engine to use oil. Does anyone agree with this? Please let me know what u think! I am at my wits end!! Thank you!!

SLJ2137694
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Generally in the auto industry a manufacturer will not investigate oil consumption unless the vehicle is using more than 1 qt in 2000 miles. If your vehicle is covered by a manufacturers warranty you may want to persue it further. If not covered by a warranty and all the usual quick fixes have been tried and the consumption doesn't get any worse I would leave it alone if it were mine.

MT-2500
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey all, I just came back from the dealer. In regret of even buying it. The mechanic there says it is normal for this engine to use oil. Does anyone agree with this? Please let me know what u think! I am at my wits end!! Thank you!!

Yes and no.
What engine?
How many miles are on it?
What kind of oil was used by the first owner?
Sometime switching brands of oil will stir up oil usage.
Are you running short trips or long highway drives at normal speeds?
I would try a good Ac Delco oil filter and a major brand of oil in it.
And make sure there is no leaks someplace.

jlwarnimont
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
It is a 5.3 V8, has 64,000 miles on it, it is using at least a quart every 1500 miles. When the oil was changed a acdelco filter was put on it with valvoline oil. Not sure what type of oil the first owner used. Most trips are short (15 miles to work) We have looked and looked again for a leak somwhere else and haven't found any. There is no warranty other than the dealer 50/50 warranty. Thanks.

wardak33
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
one quart every 1500 miles soudns like a little too much. check underneath for a differential leak. you might have to take off one of the skid plates to check it out, thats how i found my leak...(it was a gasket seal that had gone bad. Part= $40.00, Labor= $1000.00. saved the labor and got it all done for 500.) usually the oil that does leak sits on the skid plates, that can be the reason why you would'nt see anything on the ground.

Add your comment to this topic!