Chev 350 4bbl choke trouble i think

johnnyt43
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I just got a 1980 chev c-10 with a 350 4 bbl carb/ vacum style auto choke. In the morning it usually starts alright, but some mornings i have to hold my foot on the accelerator to get it to run. Once it is running it will not come off of high idle until it is at operating temp for some time. My biggest problem with the high idle staying on is where i live the streets are usually icy and driving with the truck at a higher engine speed can make for a very interesting drive. If i changed the choke from auto choke to manual choke will it also control the high idle so i can drive the truck a lot easier in the winter.

Slates
02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a 1981 chevy c10 and in da mornings when i start it it stays at a high rpm untill i rev the engine up past wat it is idle ing at mabey you just need to press the gas

johnnyt43
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I try to kick it off with the accelerator, but it does not seam to do anything until it is at operating temp.

G.A.S.
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
changing the choke to a manual is ok, but there is a turkey foot (claw foot) on the carb that controls the high idel when the choke is in the on position.
Did you disconnect this or just run a cable to the existing choke?

johnnyt43
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I have not hooked up a manual choke to it yet, I am looking in to the options. And too see if the manual choke setup will fix my problem. If i did hook up the manual choke i would buy a choke conversion kit. If i did convert it over with one of the kits wouldi t also take care of the high idle problem, or is there more to do to fix it other than the manual choke.

Blue Bowtie
02-06-2008, 11:18 PM
The high idle cam is linked to the choke plate.

G.A.S.
02-07-2008, 04:57 AM
You should be able to install an after market choke cable, and this should take care of the high Idel. One issue you will encounter will be is if you pull the choke and start the engine, it will run with the high idel untill you push off the choke and then will resume the normal idel even when cold.
this may cause a stalling situation if you dont feather that style choke to a partial on condition.
Start your engine and when pushing the choke off, just dont push it all the way off right away. wait for the warm-up or at the least dont forget to push it off all the way if your not warmed up or your fuel will disapear quickley.

johnnyt43
02-07-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks a lot for all your help. I will be getting the choke conversion kit today and hopefully installing it tonight. I was not going to put the conversion on if it did not drop the idle off as well as work the choke. But it sounds like everything will work proper so i will give it a shot.

j cAT
02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks a lot for all your help. I will be getting the choke conversion kit today and hopefully installing it tonight. I was not going to put the conversion on if it did not drop the idle off as well as work the choke. But it sounds like everything will work proper so i will give it a shot.

my experience with this carb setup is, the choke pull off vacuum operated , is leaking, when vacuum is applied to this, it should snap back not slowly move . high speed idle cam needs cleaning ,, and some wd40 it has a problem sticking, the electic choke stove is well known for failure , as you will find choke cable kits to get around this.......also carb cleaner will damage these vacuum operated pull off's so use caution........

if you have a 350 with the non electric choke stove your intake manifold is plugged at base of carb. directly between the to primary holes in intake manifold

randy78
03-22-2008, 02:59 PM
well you need to know how this choke works and what type it is exactly and beed to getunder the hood and look it over and clean it up and lube the parts of it too

neglect is probably the biggest problem with it now

sounds like the choke isnt engaging fully since you have to gas it to keep it going when cold

the choke linkage parts are probably gummed and are preventing the choke from shutting when its cold so that it cant choke and run on its own until its warm, and then its still gummed so it cant open andlet the fast idle cam fall down and let the carb sit on the idle screw lever

c;ean the parts on the passenger side, spray them all good with carb cleaner

then lube them with spray lube

when the engine is cold then open the throttle under the hood real quick and see that the choke shuts

if not then loosen the three screws around the choke housing and turn the choke counter clockwise to make it just shut barely but no more than this

now start it and see that it slowly opens as it warms, it wont open anymore until you lift the accelerator to allow the choke fast idle cam to slip down more and onto a lower idle step

if its runnign faster than you want it to idle when its cold then back off the screw on the pass side in th choke linkage under there older ones are flat blade screw and later ones are phillips head

you want about 1500 idle when choke is fuilly shut

fully open and the idle will sit on the curb idle screw on the driver side of the carb linkage

once you understand how this works and if the parts are lubed and in working condition then you can easily make it run perfect and correctly

lack of maintainence is the biggest problem with these

ppl own them who have no idea and never pop the hood and od anything and then wonder why they quit running right

good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!