Heater Blower Won't Work on "5"

huminski
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, I have the reverse of what seems to be the common problem with the reisitor pack.... my blower motor works fine on 1,2,3 and 4, but does not work on 5. Could this still be the resistor pack or is it something else.

It would work on 5 intermittently for a while, now it appears to be completely dead.

Help me out!

Thanks.

j cAT
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, I have the reverse of what seems to be the common problem with the reisitor pack.... my blower motor works fine on 1,2,3 and 4, but does not work on 5. Could this still be the resistor pack or is it something else.

It would work on 5 intermittently for a while, now it appears to be completely dead.

Help me out!

Thanks.

fan switch n/g use meter to verify

Sonny01
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
You could take the resistor pack out and measure the voltage and take a look at it...mine had been on fire and it was easy to tell it was bad.

j cAT
02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
You could take the resistor pack out and measure the voltage and take a look at it...mine had been on fire and it was easy to tell it was bad.

no resistors are used in max fan speed

Sonny01
02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I didn't know that! But then I didn't know 5 was the top...I'll have to count mine but it seams like there are 6 or 7 bars. But the problem I had was on a 2000 and I think it did only have 5 settings. My middle settings were out.

Sonny01
02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I counted the bars for the fan and I have 8...not that it means anything...

huminski
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
The knob in a 2004 is labeled 0-1-2-3-4-5.

I read somewhere that resistors are used for 1-2-3 and 4, and a relay was used for 5. Is this true? If so, anyone know the location of the relay?

rockwood84
02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
got to be in the relay box under the hood. the diagram is on the underside of the lid

brcidd
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
You must have a manual HVAC system, since you have described the blower motor as 5 speed operation-- automatic HVAC systems have bars indicating blower speeds and a separate processor to control speed. So....

You'll find the high blower relay is part of the blower resistor board (next to blower motor- under dash) - so you'll need to replace that if indeed the underhood fuse (40 amp) checks good. There is no blower relay underhood. Here is a description of your high speed blower operation:

High Blower Speed
When the High blower speed is selected, the HVAC control module applies voltage to the blower motor resistor assembly through the high blower motor control circuit. The voltage energizes the blower relay, causing the blower motor to be connected directly to the battery positive voltage circuit. The blower motor and blower motor relay are grounded through the ground circuit.

j cAT
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
[quote=brcidd

You'll find the high blower relay is part of the blower resistor board (next to .[/quote]

this is not true on 2000 5.3 sil. there is no relay in or part of the resistor board.

brcidd
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Maybe I missed it- but I thought he had a 2004 Silverado-- you are correct- a 2000 has the high blower relay behind the glove box on the HVAC module-- I thought by his signature it was a 2004 .. sorry

j cAT
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Maybe I missed it- but I thought he had a 2004 Silverado-- you are correct- a 2000 has the high blower relay behind the glove box on the HVAC module-- I thought by his signature it was a 2004 .. sorry

this relay should be mounted on the blower motor outside of the air duct where the wires connect to motor. the motor resistors are inside of the duct and the flow of air keeps the resistors from failure.....at least until the warrantee ends......

thewaxer
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I had the same problem on my o6. after five went out it melted the wires in plug and attachment to buy new wiring kit to fix it.

j cAT
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I had the same problem on my o6. after five went out it melted the wires in plug and attachment to buy new wiring kit to fix it.

are you saying the wires at the relay connector overheated ? and on an 06 was this at the blower motor where it is mounted ?

Add your comment to this topic!