EVAP solenoid on 2006 impala

phil43055
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it dificult to replace the evap solenoid on an 06 impala? my dealer tried to charge me $900.00 to replace this and my remote start. the only reason the remote start doesent work is because the engine light is on. i took it to autozone and the computer said that i have a major vaccum leak. it suggested replacing evap solenoid. i believe the dealer was going to replace the evap solenoid valve.

if it is easy to fix i will do it myself. just wanting opinions of people who know a little about this type of repair.

thanks.

brian 1
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
the vent solenoid is located at the left rear under the rear fender,near the gas fill neck.(under the vehicle)there not hard to change.couple of questions what was the code.did the dealer tell you this part is bad and did they diagnose it?did autozone tell you it needed this part?autozone is not the place you want automotive advise.a little more info would be good.

maxwedge
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
The CEL lite has nothing to do with the remote start not working and as mentioned ,AZ is not qualified to do OBD11 diagnostics.

brian 1
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
actually the remote start will not start the vehicle if the ses light is on.but only if it's a factory gm sys.it's more of a safety feature.it prevents the start up of your car incase there is a problem,it will not let the car run and cause possible damage when the vehicle is unatteded.(like a missfire).I see alot of people ask me this question at the dealer.

brian 1
02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
here is some of the description and operation:The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) receives a signal from the keyless entry transmitter indicating a remote vehicle start (RVS) request. A message is then sent to the body control module (BCM) which determines if a crank request message will be sent to the engine control module (ECM) to allow engine starting. To determine if conditions are correct for an RVS event, the BCM will ensure the following conditions are met:
The key is not in the ignition.
The vehicle is not in valet mode (if equipped).
All vehicle doors are closed.
The rear compartment lid is not ajar.
A valid hood ajar switch closed signal is present.
The doors are locked.
The hazard switch is OFF.
The vehicle power mode is correct.
No content theft deterrent (CTD) alarm triggers are present.
When the BCM determines all conditions meet those required for an RVS event, a message is sent via serial data to the ECM. The ECM relies on the RVS message from BCM to enable RVS when the crank request signal is received. If the ECM does not receive a valid RVS message, it will not attempt to start the engine. While the ECM is in RVS mode it will suspend engine operation if any of the following additional conditions occur:
Vehicle speed is greater than 0.
Transmission is not in PARK.
Excessive engine coolant temperature
Low oil pressure
The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is commanded ON.
Engine crank time is greater than 30 seconds.
Excessive engine speed.
Accelerator pedal position too high.
Remote start timer equals 0.
Vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) indicates tamper.

brian 1
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
this info comes straight from gm.

grandprixgtx00
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
not to be a thread stealer or anything, but my factory remote start also doesnt work on my 06 SS, i dont have an SES light on or anything. only light that comes on is the TPMS sensor telling me the right rear tire is low on air.

is there a common problem w/ the factory remote starters??

j cAT
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Is it dificult to replace the evap solenoid on an 06 impala? my dealer tried to charge me $900.00 to replace this and my remote start. the only reason the remote start doesent work is because the engine light is on. i took it to autozone and the computer said that i have a major vaccum leak. it suggested replacing evap solenoid. i believe the dealer was going to replace the evap solenoid valve.

if it is easy to fix i will do it myself. just wanting opinions of people who know a little about this type of repair.

thanks.

your vehicle is fairly new and this failure is probably just a vacuum/cannister/tank vent line that somehow got damaged or was never installed correctly at assembly......

BNaylor
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
just wanting opinions of people who know a little about this type of repair.

thanks.

What is the odb-ii DTC code since there are many evaporative emissions codes and since there is a evaporative purge solenoid located engine side in addition to the others. There is a large leak and small leak in addition to a possible actual vacuum leak. Large leaks can be as simple as a bad, loose or missing gas cap.

Also, how many miles on this Impala and is it still under warranty either basic or extended?

maxwedge
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
actually the remote start will not start the vehicle if the ses light is on.but only if it's a factory gm sys.it's more of a safety feature.it prevents the start up of your car incase there is a problem,it will not let the car run and cause possible damage when the vehicle is unatteded.(like a missfire).I see alot of people ask me this question at the dealer.
Brian, you are correct, but I beleive the code must be performance related to prevent the start mode, let me know if I am wrong.

brian 1
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
maxwedge,I read the discription and operation it just states the ses light has to be on to disable remote start.anything that sets the ses light will disable the remote start.it could even be transmission related because it will set the ses light and disable the sys.also if there is a dtc in the bcm it will also disable remote start.the remote start gets inputs from the bcm and sends it to the pcm and back again,if no problem is detected it tells the car to start.to answer your question you are wright because most dtc's are performance related.

j cAT
02-06-2008, 07:26 PM

thanks.

get the DTC code then forum will be able to find answer...

2006Impala
04-24-2009, 08:05 AM
J Cat. Were you able to replace the solenoid on your own?

2006Impala
04-24-2009, 08:11 AM

thanks.
Were you able to replace the solenoid on your own?

j cAT
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Were you able to replace the solenoid on your own?

I doubt your solenoid is defective...check all vac lines,and look at fuel tank for any vac lines not connected or damaged...check the canister hose connections...and condition...

gas cap has a gasket make sure it did not fall off..

Add your comment to this topic!