Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Problem????

Grey_Ghost
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey guys my problem seems to be when i first start out in a gear the RPMs go flying through the roof and I am getting very little in the way of speed coming out of it...Itll then kick back to low RPMs but once i try putting a little something on the pedal RPMs go flying back up any help would be appreciated it.....thanks in advance

BLAZERBOY69
02-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey guys my problem seems to be when i first start out in a gear the RPMs go flying through the roof and I am getting very little in the way of speed coming out of it...Itll then kick back to low RPMs but once i try putting a little something on the pedal RPMs go flying back up any help would be appreciated it.....thanks in advance

OK, we need to know what year, make, engine size, what tranny you have, etc. also, are you flooring it when you start out? or are you just pushing the pedal enough to get you going, knowing that it will build up speed? it sounds like the trans clutch might be sticking, causing the tranny to not meld with the engine. also, is it a manual or automatic?

Grey_Ghost
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
sorry for lack of info....its a 2002 jeep wrangler 4.0 engine and its a manual....when I am starting out im giving it just enough to go but as i press pedal to get going and adding speed thats when the RPMs fly ....

scoutinkeith
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
sounds like a clutch problem, either it's slipping, or not engaging fully.

fredjacksonsan
02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Definitely sounds like you need a new clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!