Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

saw a stack

aussieidiot
02-04-2008, 04:48 AM
My wife and I were driving out to a friends place on semi-rural roads which we are quite familiar on since my wife grew up out there and its where i spent my time doing dumb things in cars.

Its a cross intersection with good visibility in all directions. It was around 5pm but since we are on daylight savings time, its still bright. But it has been raining and storming for the last few days.

as we came to this normally quiet intersection, we saw a CBR1000RR under the passenger side of a Toyota Camry Sportivo, with the rider being attended to by Ambulance officers while he was still on the roof of the car! There were already too many bystanders so we didn't stop. Ambo's and cops were there, so were would get in the way.

From what i could figure out, the rider seemed to be an experienced rider. his age, gear and the fact he was wearing full wet weather suit makes me think he wasn't a newbie or a squid. Postion of the vehicles could have had two scenario's.
1) He was travelling straight down the road and the Camry turned infront of him. thought it a bit strange he was on the roof if this was the case. he should have been thrown further unless he tried to stop, but why end up on the roof?
2) he's turned out of the side road and then the Camry has hit him. but again things don't add up fully.

Made me think twice about my sport and it makes my wife upset that it could very easily be me on that roof.......

richtazz
02-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Anytime you see something like that, it makes you realize your own mortality. Our hobby is a dangerous one, and anyone that thinks otherwise is retarded. That is why I stress that people ride defensively and without distractions. I've had quite a few close calls in my 20+ years of streetriding (and in the off-road riding I've done since getting my first bike, a Honda 50, at the age of 7). Keep the shiny side up, the rubber side down, and just ride!!!!

G.A.S.
02-04-2008, 06:06 AM
eather that or you could just stay indoors all the time.:popcorn: .
Thats why we watch the other guy.

72chevelleOhio
02-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Made me think twice about my sport and it makes my wife upset that it could very easily be me on that roof....... If you could handle that flat tire you posted about on another thread, then I dont think you would have been in that situation to begin with...the fact your thinking about it means you'll watch everyone even more now and ride safer. I think, when someone thinks "that won't happen to me" then it does.

aussieidiot
02-05-2008, 05:51 AM
If you could handle that flat tire you posted about on another thread, then I dont think you would have been in that situation to begin with...the fact your thinking about it means you'll watch everyone even more now and ride safer. I think, when someone thinks "that won't happen to me" then it does.

I appreciate the comments.

I've always ridden with the view of "i will go down, let's not make it today"

and my apprentices have commented how I guesstimate what everycar around me might do before they even do it. I don't even realise that I'm doing it.

speediva
02-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Seeing someone go down is REALLY unnerving (no, not dirty... I can stay on topic every now and again). I actually just ran into a rider I know that was in the ICU for a LONG time after a serious ball on the DC Beltway. Damn was it good to see him, but he got maimed... he has a severe limp now. He is superglad to be alive obviously.

Blayne, about the guessing... it's all about rider intuition... I can't tell you how often my non-riding friends will be driving down the road and not see something coming that I just felt. We really are out there for our lives, which is a shame.

richtazz
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I use my Biker radar in the car all the time. It seems people can't see my bright red Grand Prix either and constantly pull out in front of me. I try not to be a back seat driver, but I always watch the sides even as a passenger. It has saved me (or the person driving) many times. The best thing I ever learned is to constantly watch my rearviews, as someone is always trying to run my ass over at stoplights and intersections.

aussieidiot
02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Seeing someone go down is REALLY unnerving (no, not dirty... I can stay on topic every now and again)

I didn't take it that way until you mentioned it, and then my weird brain started getting images...........

I use my Biker radar in the car all the time. It seems people can't see my bright red Grand Prix either and constantly pull out in front of me. I try not to be a back seat driver, but I always watch the sides even as a passenger. It has saved me (or the person driving) many times. The best thing I ever learned is to constantly watch my rearviews, as someone is always trying to run my ass over at stoplights and intersections.

I didn't know you had a bright red Grand Prix, why don't you have a picture in your signature alongside your Harley???:runaround:

Mason_R1
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
yeah everytime my wife sees a bike wreck she looks at me and gives me a look that kills me....

richtazz
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I didn't know you had a bright red Grand Prix, why don't you have a picture in your signature alongside your Harley???:runaround:

Why don't you go hug a rabid Koala? butthead!! :cwm27:

Mason_R1
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
oooooooo...no he didn't

aussieidiot
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Why don't you go hug a rabid Koala? butthead!! :cwm27:

A brief Australian Fauna lesson for neanderthal's

A rabid Koala is actually called a Drop Bear. These creatures sit in trees and "drop" on unsuspecting bush walkers from the trees. Using their long sharp claws, they attack the walkers head until dead. approximately 15 people die per year due to drop bears which is more than the great white shark.

on a lighter note. Our leading motoring agency and insurer who does all sorts of polls and studies, found that some cars are "not seen" more than others. our leading invisible car is the Nissan Pintara or aka Ford Corsair

http://www.shearwatermotorcycles.com.au/pintara.jpg

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://perth.gumtree.com.au/posting_images/77/15325577__1193750369__1__1-7ee25a49d6fe0dc26ba2172686110076.__big__.jpg&imgrefurl=http://perth.gumtree.com.au/perth/77/15325577.html&h=300&w=400&sz=24&hl=en&start=22&tbnid=BaGZ_ZBrquyn2M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dford%2Bcorsair%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2 %26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

richtazz
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Aussie (Blayne) and I are both worldclass smartasses Mason. We've been kidding each other on here for quite some time now. We're actually good buddies on AF, we don't take each other seriously. He knows I'm kidding and vice versa. It's all good fun.

That drop bear situation is nuts!!
Tourist # 1 "look at the cute koala
Tourist #2 " but it doesn't look right"
Tourist #1 " :runaround: ahhhhhh :runaround: get it off!!!! :runaround: get it off!!!!! :runaround:

speediva
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I knew what a drop bear was! I am so smart, S M R T! ;)

Here we just have rabid Patriots fans. :lol: They decend from New England... difference is, the rest of the world beats on them.

Steel
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Here we just have rabid Patriots fans. :lol: They decend from New England... difference is, the rest of the world beats on them.

WHEN WE'RE NOT BUSY KICKING THEIR ASS! :eek: except that one time

Mason_R1
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
It's all good tazz!

And I think the Pats are the biggest dissapointment in the last 10 years in sports. If not all time...sorry pats fans, there's always next year.

My team isn't much better *cough*Buccaneers*cough*

aussieidiot
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM

and now we know your a Simpsons fan too.

drop bear video. Warning this video is quite graphic!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEQpUY_crc

info on drop bears
http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/

Add your comment to this topic!