Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Malibu Won't Start

Lobster_Boy
02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I have a 99 Malibu with 144k miles on it. The fuel pump was replaced about 2 months ago and the head gasket leaks, but other than that & until recently it ran fine.

About a week ago, I went to go start it & it was dead. I figured that it just needed a new battery, since it's been a while. I took the battery to Pep Boys & they tested it & confirmed that the battery was dead. I installed a new battery, and the electrical system (power locks, interior lights) appear to work. However, when I turn the key to start it, it clicks and then everything goes dead - lights, locks, etc. If I diconnect a terminal from the battery & reconnect it, the electrical will work again, but if I try to start it, everything goes dead again & I'm back to square one (where if I disconnect & reconnect the battery, the electrical will work but it still won't start).

Any idea what the problem is? Starter? Alternator? And how much am I looking at to get it fixed? We bought this thing new & it's had a good run, but I don't want to get into the trap of constantly throwing money at it to keep it running.

thefunny
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Is your security lamp on the left side of the dash flashing? If so, per the manual, turn the key to "ON" (don't attempt the start the engine) and leave it on for about 10 minutes. The lamp will stop flashing when the car is ready to start. Turn the key off, then start the engine. Mine was fine for two years and now it does this about once a week.

slls
02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Is your security lamp on the left side of the dash flashing? If so, per the manual, turn the key to "ON" (don't attempt the start the engine) and leave it on for about 10 minutes. The lamp will stop flashing when the car is ready to start. Turn the key off, then start the engine. Mine was fine for two years and now it does this about once a week.

Next time try this. Put the key on run, shift to neutral and then start.

Lobster_Boy
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the assistance. You guys are geniuses. I put it in neutral and it fired right up. It's been running fine for a couple of weeks now. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!